Garmin GPS watch

n5750547

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
So the missus was/is good to me this Xmas. She paid for half of this gadget and I got it early as we bought it at mates rates from JBHiFi.

It's a Garmin Fenix 3 and I am chuffed.

I've managed to upload my GPX files to it so that I can keep an eye on planned routes as well as tracking my actual path.

Another great excuse to get outside this weekend!

Cheers
Phil

pap11y

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Col stuff. I'd be keen to hear a review when you have had a chance to test it properly..

Nice score :)

n5750547

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
It's is supposed to last 50 hours in GPS mode and about a week for normal use. I carry a battery bank for charging my headlamp and phone so it's plenty.

Will definately do a review when I've been for a decent walk with it. There were issues with displayed distances (actual distance when transferred to a computer were fine) when it was first released but apparently that has been fixed with a few software updates.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Very interesting, I'm keen to hear more when u get a chance.

My kids have sports watches with gps which can integrate with various (phone and computer) apps. Some quite interesting abilities are available

n5750547

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Very interesting, I'm keen to hear more when u get a chance.

My kids have sports watches with gps which can integrate with various (phone and computer) apps. Some quite interesting abilities are available
It's much the same as a lot of sport watches but with a few more hiking/outdoors features such as the barometer. The GPS receiver also has the ability to pick up GLONASS which should help with accuracy.

Garmin has an app store which is available with most of its watches and the app store also automatically syncs all data back on to your phone. Hopefully as these get more popular there will be a lot more apps developed for it. The only one I have so far (apart from what came on it) is for uploading my GPX files as a route to follow.

n5750547

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I used the watch for a walk I did to Northbrook Mountain on the weekend and it worked great. I made my own route using GPS VISUALIZER and uploaded it to the watch even though I knew where I was heading.

It was very easy to use/follow the route and once I had reached the camp site, the watch synced with my phone and uploaded all the data to my phone. The distance was acurate compared to what I had calculated and the altimiter was only 2m off compared to the official height. This is how it shows up:

I'm a happy camper to say the least and would reccomend it for anyone that enjoys gadgets, especially ones you can keep using day-to-day

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I think I would rather a watch like this than say an Apple watch. :) If you can, please post another report in a few months time.

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
This looks great. I've been using a Fenix 2 and really like it. I mainly use the grid reference feature when on , but have been learning about all the other bits and pieces recently

PhysicalGraffiti

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Be careful buying any of these. The batteries aren't removable and Garmin don't offer any servicing. In 366 days when the warranty expires if the battery dies your $600-1000 watch is useless and Garmin will laugh at you.

They barely offer any more navigation features than a $130 handheld model (just the electronic compass), which is way easier to use and has AA batteries.

I hate to be so pessimistic but i hate products which are essentially designed to be disposable.

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Be careful buying any of these. The batteries aren't removable and Garmin don't offer any servicing. In 366 days when the warranty expires if the battery dies your $600-1000 watch is useless and Garmin will laugh at you.

They barely offer any more navigation features than a $130 handheld model (just the electronic compass), which is way easier to use and has AA batteries.

I hate to be so pessimistic but i hate products which are essentially designed to be disposable.

It is a little hard to take your post seriously when it is the first and only post you have made on this forum.

n5750547

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Since I've already got this and enjoy using it I'm probably a bit biased but I think it has features that justify the extra dollars (for me anyway). I should mention that I use Wikiloc and BackCountry Navigator on my phone which together cost less than $10 and have all the features and more of a $130 handheld (and probably the watch as well)

I do a lot of sport other than bushwalking so tracking these activities and storing them on my account is great. The barometer comes in handy as you can set a storm alarm - which isn't 100% accurate - that will hopefully save me from getting wet at least sometimes. I have a compass, altimiter, time, remaining daylight and more available on my wrist at a glance and can log way points without much effort. Day-to-day it is decent smart watch that receives notifications and alerts which can be useful as well. Having software that is part of the larger Connect ecosystem means there are regular updates and new apps/features being released.

The warranty on it is actually 2 years and I got another 2 years for $30. I understand that this won't be everyone's cup of tea but I much prefer it to my brother's Apple watch which cost $200 more.