Good Cheap Pack.???

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys..I am in the market for a new pack and been looking round a bit.As always funds are low so looking at x army gear or second hand market.I been looking in the salvos and places like cash Converters but no luck.I found some real old gear from the 70's but all too old bit passed it or bits missing.Same story with army gear at the cheaper end of the market..Any suggesting s guys..

Big Bill

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Mate I have a couple of packs in the 50 litre range I'm interested in selling pm if interested...........

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
I assume you waant to carry a reasonably heavy load and want a framed pack, there isn'a lot at the cheaper end of the market that is worth purchasing.
Why not make your own?
A simple aluminium stave frame ( many styles to choose from "X" "H" "A" ) is very easy to make and simply uses 45mm seat belt webbing to hold in place.
Canvas can be sourced although it isn't cheap but it can be salvaged or scavenged.The difficult part is the cut and fit of the harness but a simple non-tailored hipbelt and shoulder harness is easy enough. I can help with webbing and buckles if you want to make your own.
Keep it to a simple "Bloody great sack" and it isn't too difficult at all ( I know you can sew LOL ) otherwise just buy the biggest simplest sac for the money.
look on Craigs list or join http://bushwalk.com/forum/ and look at members second hand stuff

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My main concern is the comfort factor on the cheaper packs. I see that he used some foam to support his back. but the straps look reasonable thin too. This is ok for low weight but when it gets heavier they can really cut into your shoulders.

I really think that comfortable gear is one of the mos important considerations when choosing.

Did you have any thing in mind in terms of size in L or cost?

Red23

Ray Mears
Reaction score
In a completely different price range, I'm saving for a Mystery Ranch Crewcab :)

doesn't help you though

what kind of price range are you looking at?

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
I agree with Blake, a comfortble carry is important and the heavier the load the more imporrtant the design of the pack is, unfortunately some of the design featurs that make a heavilly loaded pack more comfortable are hidden, so the only way to really find out is to actually carry one.
most good shops tho will have a set of lead shot bagsto allow you to aproximate a full load' i try for the maximum load when fitting usually 60kg ( 6 bags of lead shot) although i could not carry that much om my back for very long it does tell me if the transfer function of the frame is working as it should

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Hey Red; could you add links to the stuff you mention; I know nothing about those packs. need to know more about anything related to this subject.

Are we looking at rucksacs as "Bushwalking" packs or as "Bushcraft" packs, I have a mental division regarding the two subjects as while not being mutually exclusive they are at opposite ends of the spectrum.
For a bushcraft pack I would be looking at the ability to carry a full sized axe and a decent shovel and as robust and simple as possible; while for a bushwalking pack I am looking at weight transfer, good capacity and the lowest mass consistent with strength

Red23

Ray Mears
Reaction score

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Whats your Budget Aus? would $200 be too expensive?

bobmouse

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
you say youlooked at cash converters. i've been thre a few times and there prices arnt competitive. try ebay, gumtree or the trading post.

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Search ebay for "Travel Packs" or "Backpacks"

Not sure about the last one but I'd be happy with either of the first 2; if the price was less than $120- including postage

Last edited by a moderator:

gelandangan

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
This is an open ended question like "how long is a piece of string"

Good cheap pack does not describe the item you want.
The Youtube video shows an ALICE pack.

so I take it you are looking for a cheap ALICE pack?
Or are you looking for a GOOD Cheap Pack?

I agree ALICE packs are great.. for the military..
Are you military? do you have support crews to drop you supplies if needed?
Have you tried humping an ALICE pack all day?

How long is your trip going to be?
There is no reason to carry a 60 liter bag for a day trip but it is necessary for a longer trip.

IMHO, you should look for the most comfortable pack that suit your need.
Check/try the packs you like in camping / backpackers supplies stores to size and fit you before buying online (if you have to).
Read review on the PARTICULAR pack you like and see what other say about their reliability and quirks.

My 5c

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
As someone who has lived out of an ALICE pack for many years, I will say this...

If the pack is set up correctly and loaded correctly then it is a fine pack, if you want better shoulder straps and a waist belt they are available too.

In the decade I carried mine I only had to replace straps once, and that was to get the wider after market ones, as for the frame a couple of S/S bolts replaced the rivets and she was all good again.

The pack is a workhorse, not a show pony, those who use civivlian rucksacks tend to hate the ALICE because it is so low tech and being a single bucket sack it isnt the most conveniant pack to find things in, however if you use stuffsacks and a liner it's simple to operate and maintain.

TasMonk

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Needing to get new packs for myself and my wife, and being a frugal sort who doesn't want to spend a lot of money, has led me to a lot of frustration with lately. I certainly haven't been able to find what I would consider a good bushcrafter's 1-3 day bag for anything close to "cheap", and have decided just to spending a larger chunk of cash on something that I can at least expect to be comfortable and last a good long while. If that weren't a viable option then I'd just resign to watching the usual outlets and second-hand shops for something to eventually turn up.

Oh, and one of the reasons the ALICE pack is so popular in the U.S. is that a person used to be able to pick one up at the nearest military surplus store for $20 or so. Not so here- they are MUCH more expensive, and in my opinion are just not worth the prices they are priced at for Aussies. At those prices there are lots more comfortable packs available!

Anyway, this isn't much help but perhaps just support through empathy and a shared commiseration. Good luck!

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Well I can still buy a second hand ALCE pack for US$20- plus $60- shipping postage is the killer there, never owned, one never carried one, , but i have always used a "Single Bloody great sac" but anything beats a Woolworths shopping bag except i have read about a 60 YO American widow who hiked the full length of the Appalachian trail using only two hand held shopping bags.

Shoulder bags work almost as well as rucksacs if the weight isn't to great and the load is distributed evenly, and is what was used for hundreds of years in many societies. Some societies used large cane backpacks and if made properly those are able to carry huge loads in reasonable comfort ( after they have "Broken in " to your body shape ) UK Special Boat Squad and RM Commandos used them for many years, I believe because they are free draining, Sherpas and Nepali porters still do and a woven cane basket must be the epitome of a "Bushcraft" pack

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
So lots of questions to answer,here go's...First price,so on a budget for sure looking At spending $100 dollars or less.Most of my gear is traded for,old,second hand,etc.I use cash from the sales of my craft work(leather,knifes,firesteels) is buy new kit when needed.I need a bigger pack at 70lt at least for 3 or 4 days in the woods.

What I tend to do is hike 5 to 7 miles away from the road/car and set up kind of base camp and stay in the same secluded spot.I then will walk out on small hikes,tracking,forging,taking photographs.Or stay at camp work craft projects or do some cooking.So I not out hiking with a full pack for 20 miles a day.Some of the bigger bits of kit I will carry are sleeping bag,hammock,sleeping mat,billycan,hatchet,first aid,,water,food,...

Okay so here is a pic of the packs that have I got at the moment.So the one on the far left I got in Glasgow in the mid 80's.A good pack in it's day now well passed it.Zips and buckets busted,stitching staring to go but it has had a good run.!!The black one is a newer snow gum pack I stole from my wife.More of a backpackers pack that a outdoor pack less that perfect..!!!The green on is a smaller US army alice pack I use for day trips and overnight trips.Good pack but just to darn small for more than that.

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Do you have the frame for the ALCE pack?
Hell if you are only walking in to set up a base camp then almost anything big enough will do, I agree 70liters plus is needed tho.
I have to ask why not repair the pack on the left if it is bag enough, although I have never been a fan of zippers on side pockets or back pockets either for that matter.
As i said in another thread my personal chooice for the best value for money is the WE "Breakout"
70 liters,simple and robust and you can add side pockets if needed

http://www.wildequipment.com.au/backpack_detail.php?Code=WEBO2

How-ever if you have the ALCE frame there are multiple other options, I do like external frames for carrying a heavy load in hot weather and I wish I still had my old one