Good Cheap Pack.???

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
Oz,

I see you are in the Hunter area of NSW, if you wanted to get that pack fixed it may be a good idea to take a short trip to Singleton and get it repaired, there are heaps of stores that cater to the Army guys there who do pack repairs and modifications for minimal cost, they may even be able to reconfigure it to sit on your ALICE frame if you ask them to... just a thought.

graybear

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Although I've not used my ALICE pack nearly as much as Templar... as in, only a few times, I can absolutely recommend the ALICE Large Pack. I've never owned a top of the range backpack, so its not a measured opinion....anyway, I got my ALICE large pack, which has the frame permanently attached, from Aussie Disposals. It was only $79. It was used, but thats the charm right? It seems very genuine, theres a very faded 'US' on the flap, and it has repair marks on the back section so it seems fair dinkum. I'm not sure if every Aussie Disposals sell them, but my local one, (now closed down) did.... Thought I throw that one in there. Here's mine:

GB

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Oz,

I see you are in the Hunter area of NSW, if you wanted to get that pack fixed it may be a good idea to take a short trip to Singleton and get it repaired, there are heaps of stores that cater to the Army guys there who do pack repairs and modifications for minimal cost, they may even be able to reconfigure it to sit on your ALICE frame if you ask them to... just a thought.
Good info thanks mate..!!

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
G'Day OZ
The pack I just bought does not fit me, I now need an XL hipbelt due to old age spread, if you need a medium hipbelt you can have this Wilderness Equipment "Breakout" for what it cost me plus postage.
That works out to half price and the pack is brand new.

http://www.wildequipment.com.au/backpack_detail.php?Code=WEBO2

Red in colour. Medium to Large frame size Medium "High Load" harness for heavy weights.
I paid $170- plus postage which was $17-

A new hipbelt in the correct size would cost me $68- unfortunately I do not have that much money to spare.

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I now need an XL hipbelt due to old age spread.
Boy can I sympathise with that. When working as a mechanic my fitness was ok but I had the usual dose of 'mechanics back'.
I'm now off the tools & behind a desk. The back is great but the front now presents big problems.
Am also currnetly looking around for a new scuba wetsuit as my old one seems to have gotten wet & shrunk (at least that's my excuse).
I',m now finding mountains seem to be getting steeper also when deer hunting.
Something wrong with the earth's gravity in the Victorian high country I think.
Am working hard at it but age slows ya down a bit. Thank goodness for the dogs. They're keeping me honest.
Have also found my Tai Chi absolutely invaluable in retaining mobility/flexibility over the last few years.

Bill A.

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Hey OZ!??
Have you found a pack yet??
I just scored an old Mountain Mule lightweight you can have for $5- and postage.
I paid $5- an hour ago at our local recycle centre

It is the OLD style with the horizontal shelf, red Cordura and the single big pocket on the back.
These things are absolutely basic and there is no hipbelt but they were built very very tough, used in Kiwi land as a hunting pack with the bag removed I believe.
I also got a big old MacPac external frame for $20- and I have been thinking of getting an external frame for a while, bot h packs need some work done on the straps but I won't have a problem with that.
Pix follow as soon as my camera batteries recharge

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Moondog, if Oz doesn't want either of the packs, I'd be interested. I love external frames for some reason.

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
OK, Oz you have 24 hours to respond
Wentworth I have just given this pack a good look over, the frame is a mountain Mule. the sac itself looks to be a home sewn replacement using the original MM webbing. Still in very good nick and well worth $5- +post.
The MacPac is a keeper I think, if I use some of the yellow wood stain it will turn from bright blue to a nice shade of Khaki and blend right in

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, Oz you have 24 hours to respond
Wentworth I have just given this pack a good look over, the frame is a mountain Mule. the sac itself looks to be a home sewn replacement using the original MM webbing. Still in very good nick and well worth $5- +post.
The MacPac is a keeper I think, if I use some of the yellow wood stain it will turn from bright blue to a nice shade of Khaki and blend right in
I have it thanks mate..!!!Sending you a PM..:risatonaD: