Gransfors Bruk Small Forest Axe v Carpenter's Axe

Lepmeister

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Fair question Blof, I had the same thought and actually picked up a supposedly good quality head on eBay and the did some work getting the edge sorted and making a handle for it. The handle I made wasn't a piece of art so that may have been a contributing factor to me once trying the GBSFA quickly getting one on order. The confidence that I get when using a knife or tool that a respect the form of goes along way to me being both more careful and producing a better result.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Thanks guys, that's great feedback. I might have to wait until I win lotto or my wife is feeling particularly generous (better chance on the lotto) before I will be allowed to lash out on the top of the range stuff.
Doesn't mean I won't keep dreaming.
Cheers
Bloffy

ozslon

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
My 2 cents

While Fiskars is a good hatchet the steel it is made of is very very very very soft. A bit of hardwood or slightly bigger peace and the edge is gone. The moment edge is gone you cannot use it. To perform well it has to be sharp. I am also not a fan of the hammer part of it, really smooth and therefore pain to use. Saying that it is extremely lightweight, well made and I had used it for 1.5 years with a bit of a pain here and there. Biggest pros is price. Biggest cons, it wont last forever.

Now GB, very very very very well made. Wouldn't care what type of wood you are processing. Will take long time to dull this edge and takes no time to put it back. I'm sure that even your grandkids will be able to use it once you cant swing it anymore.
SFA and carpenter's are very similar. You cant go wrong with SFA, it is an absolute bestseller for GB. There is no cons but the price, but you only have to pay once.

As for something in a middle, have you considered a hawk? Lately I have been carrying my CRKT t-hawk and liking it a lot. Biggest pros for me is detachable head, can do a lot with it. While this one is around $100 mark there is always a Cold Steel for around $80. It will definitely outperform Fiskars

Cheers

Image1459068740.419466.jpg

Soz

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your responses and good to know that the Fiskars is too soft because I was thinking of buying it.
It sounds like the GB is on the top of everyone's list but also will like to get some feedback on the Aussie Razorback hatchet if anyone owns one.
http://www.drifta.com.au/camping-hatchet/
Soz

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
... I also notice that Husqvarna make some nice axes (actually GB make the axes for them)

They are similar to a GB, but not quite the same. Price seems to be about half a GB and there are some Aus distributors too!

Here's an internet pic of a GB vs Husqvarna (there seems to be a range of sizes available)
Axe.JPG

Soz

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Yes the Husqvarna axes are great too. I have one the same as the above picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some update everyone on the GB and Husqvarna axes.
I managed to find both in Melbourne and had a good look at them.
The GB Small Forest Axe is a work of art @$199 and perfect handle length of about 450mm, it was razor sharp and thin blade profile(perfect for me).
The Husqvarna had the equivalent head but with ~600mm handle which is too long for me. The cutting profile is thin similar to the GB but very rough finish and $79. I am thinking of buying this for value for money but will need to get new shorter handle. The hole opening is roughly 50x25 mm so I have some homework to do for the handle.
They also had a small hatchet $39 but the profile looked like a splitting axe so I ruled it out.

n5750547

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Some update everyone on the GB and Husqvarna axes.
I managed to find both in Melbourne and had a good look at them.
The GB Small Forest Axe is a work of art @$199 and perfect handle length of about 450mm, it was razor sharp and thin blade profile(perfect for me).
The Husqvarna had the equivalent head but with ~600mm handle which is too long for me. The cutting profile is thin similar to the GB but very rough finish and $79. I am thinking of buying this for value for money but will need to get new shorter handle. The hole opening is roughly 50x25 mm so I have some homework to do for the handle.
They also had a small hatchet $39 but the profile looked like a splitting axe so I ruled it out.
Would you consider just cutting the handle shorter? It won't have the grip stop at the butt, but I imagine it will be easier to do than to rehandle the axe

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Soz

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Would you consider just cutting the handle shorter? It won't have the grip stop at the butt, but I imagine it will be easier to do than to rehandle the axe

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
That has crossed my mind but I don't think the grip will be there.