BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bird Green Catbird (Ailuroedus crassirostris )

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Scientific Name: Ailuroedus crassirostris

Common Name: Green Catbird

Order: Passeriformes

Family: Ptilonorhynchidae

Other Names: NA

Distribution: east coast of Australia, from south-eastern Queensland to southern New South Wales.

Habitat: temperate and sub-tropical rainforest and paperbarks, and sometimes adjacent eucalypt forest.

Field Notes: A large, stout green bird, spotted white, with a dusky crown, nape and face and a white bill. The eye is red. Juveniles are duller in colour. Similar species:
The Spotted Catbird, A. melanotis, is extremely similar, but widely separated in its range. It tends to be much brighter green and paler below and has black markings on the head. The Green Catbird can also resemble the immature or female Satin Bowerbird, which has a distinctly blue eye, a dark bill and a more scalloped patterning on the underbody, while the upper body is a more olive-green.
Average size 28cm.
View attachment 8006View attachment 8007

D

Deleted member 1018

Account Inactive
I've never seen one of these down my way, maybe I'm too far south. A really interesting looking bird. Thanks for sharing.

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Awesome call on these birds, we had several of them around us up on the Shoalhaven River above Tallowa Dam (NSW) while camping, several of them not shy at checking out our camp. We find they are around this time of year when trees are in fruit, in late summer they move out from the area. Did get a video of the river with recorded call on it.

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Finally found the video/audio of the Catbirds around our camp up on the Shoalhaven River NSW above the Tallowa River

[video=youtube_share;zbt6Ve8Vu44]http://youtu.be/zbt6Ve8Vu44[/video]