BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hammock Suspension: Whoopie Slings & Tree Straps in One

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I liked Whoopie Slings, adjustable, very light & strong, very cool. But it annoyed me that you had to throw on the tree straps, Marlin Spike hitch, then whoopie onto the hitch & on top of all that you'd lose 50cm at each end.

I looked at daisy chain type set ups which seemed the simplest way to go but it cost more & I already had a truck load of Amsteel handy.

So out of pure lazyness I can up with this
DSCF3544.jpg

Fixed piece of tree protection
DSCF3545.jpg

2nd piece is able to be pushed out of the way if not needed
DSCF3546.jpg

DSCF3547.jpg

Set up
2nd piece of protection not being used
DSCF3548.jpg

DSCF3549.jpg

2nd piece of protection being used
DSCF3550.jpg

DSCF3551.jpg

They're adjustable from 25cm to 2 metres not including the tree strap portion.
I'll be buying some more Amsteel to make 2 large continuous loops for extension slings & 2 x 1 metre pieces of webbing in the event the only suitable trees are huge or over 5m apart.

I've got to give genuine thanks to Swampy for nagging about how I didn't need to spend the $23 on Python Straps & just had to use my scone to make something to suit. Turned out only a 3rd of the cost & I got the satisfaction of a DIY project.

Last edited:

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Benny, that's an very resourceful new way of rigging the whoopies. But it appears that the amsteel still wraps around the tree. True, it is sitting ontop of the webbing, but I think that the pressure exerted on the tree would still be about the same as straight amsteel on bark.

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
It does wrap around the tree. The webbing I've used it a bit thicker & more rigid than the usual webbing. I'm pretty keen on not damaging trees when I hang & I'm confident this will do the trick. I'll be giving it a go in the back yard before I head out bush with it.