BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hammock Warmth Project

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hey guys just the first post of an ongoing little project. I got a chance this weekend to try out my ideas. Getting a working setup for my hammock in cold weather. Before this Ive only used it in warmer weather and before that I used my tent. However Im now fully converted to the hammock :cuoricini: so trying to get that working.

I was sold on the Warbonnet Yetti/ black mamba combo but figured I could get something going with the gear I already own. The fill in the sleeping bags is obviously not going to be anywhere near that of the warbonnet stuff but my theory is I have the clothing with me to make up the difference anyway.

I set the Terra Rosa up in the closed door configuration. Then basically used my old Caribee sleeping bag as an underquilt (It looks a bit dodgy at the moment but it was just a test and Ill trim it down and make it neat soon). Then used my expet down mat 7 inside the hammock with my feathelite 0c blackwolf sleeping back as a top quit with it zipped up only about 2 foot for the foot well. I pretty much tried to copy the black mamba/yetti combo. I just make up any difference with clothing I normally carry. Chuck on an extra layer of wool socks, maybe a wool shirt or duck down jacket and a beanie. It worked great! Fell asleep and woke up in the middle of the night sweating! Ended up sleeping very cosy the rest of the night in just my long johns and thermal top. Checked the thermometer in the morning and it hit 0c around 3am so very pleased with it!

I checked the wind directions before setup and got my self comfy in a stand of trees to break the wind. The Terra Rosa configuration also did a great job I think of cutting down air circulation around the hammock.

Its an ongoing process but Ive nailed the combo and now just need to mod the under quilt to trim off some excess so its no so bulky and add some bungee cord like the custom made under quilts.

IMGP8677.jpg

IMGP8718.jpg

IMGP8720.jpg

IMGP8723.jpg

AussiePreppers

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Hey mate, how feasable is it to carry all of that gear with you? I definitely want to use my hammock in QLD cold weather but that looks like a fair bit extra to carry. I'm lucky if I have enough room for an extra big jacket in my loadout... did you walk in for this one?

I never thought of tarping like that so i'd say that is going to solve the majority of my coldness, although where I go definitely gets to -3 to 0. Do you think you would have been smoothing it without the caribee?

Greatbloke

Jack Abasalom
Reaction score
The extra sleeping bag/quilt needed for Hammock set ups is one of the main reasons, I'm not sold on them [Yet at least].
Have you, Blake or anyone, tried a space blanket underneath? Either the $2 type or the heavier type? I'm thinking that they wouldn't be too noisy and that condensation might not be a problem as it's underneath.

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hey mate, how feasable is it to carry all of that gear with you?

I think this is the ultimate question and only you can answer it on your own. Its really a personal thing based on your preference, pack size etc. Its just the nature of the beast for winter camping the way I see it. I could definitely carry less, maybe cut out the mat or underquilt. Not sure which but probably the mat to be fair. The underquilt gives much better coverage. The way I see it, it comes down to how much you value a good nights sleep. Granted I think I could take this down to -10 OK with my jackets on. My pack is pretty big so I dont really have a problem storing all the gear. That being said, because my pack has such a good strap and support system, I dont mind carrying the bigger pack.

Anyway. I think you would be surprised how well it packs down as its all down products and nylon's. The tarp is sil nylon and I can fit it into the space remaining in my hammock stuff sack. That's with 6 tieouts and a ridgeline. Then I can fit the goose down mat inside my 0C featherlite sleeping bag sack.

Do you think you would have been smoothing it without the caribee?

mmmmm. Maybe with my clothes all on it would be OK but I think there would be cold spots still. The mat gives you great warmth around the core but you need to be bang on the mat. With a hammock that's not easy so I would probably go the Caribee over the mat. What I might do is check the temps and see if their is a -3 - -5 night coming up soon and try it without the caibee and then with but without the mat.

Here is the setup at the moment without the underquilt which I think when trimmed will be about the size of the olive stuff sack in the photo below. (CD for scale)

Photo Shows: 0c sleeping bag, hammock, tarp, 6 tieouts, 1 ridgeline, 1 goose down inflatable mat.
winderham.jpg

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
well done Blake, very creative. That tarp setup looks great. I think once you've trimmed all the excess off the sleepingbag, the bulk will be alot less.
Regarding the space blanket Greatbloke, I've played around with the heavier variation, put in between the layers of the hammock. It moved arounda bit but did provide some extra warmth.
I put a cheapo space blanket in a garbage bag and stuck it between my poncho (rigged under the hammock) and the hammock. Worked very well!
The Hennessy supershelter requires the use of a thin space blanket, so I guess it must work fairly well.

AussiePreppers

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
It's quite possible I can carry the underquilt thing but if I could exchange the mat for it that would be even better. Will be cool if you get to try that out, as I would have to buy something before I could. Thanks.

P.S. the mat has always given me the s***s anyway, even with it velcroed in place by the time morning comes I want to use it to start my fire.

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
-2 tomorrow night and its usually about 1-2c colder out here then what the Mudgee town temp is so hopefully -4 ish. Then it warms up for the next 7 days so that's my window.

Ill go out tomorrow night and try. Do you want me to try with the mat only or the under quilt only?

AussiePreppers

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Underquilt only please - I found it more comfortable my first time when I didn't have a mat but almost froze to death in spring - -5 sleeping bag be damned. The underquilt is something i'd have to buy and cobble together, but it would be smaller than my sleeping foam mat, my thermarest, and probably even squashes down more than my inflatable mat, so if I can do it without a mat of any variety that would be huge.

At this point i'm not worried about the hammock breaking and needing to rely on the mat to sleep on the ground - there's plenty of ways to rig a tarp to compensate in those situations.

peter

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Gday Blake Great thread. In a way, i have the same problem as you {but i am about 3 steps behind you, & off to the left}.

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Look forward to the feedback. I've got a couple of US ponch liners on their way that are destined to become underquilts. There's a few ideas floating around on the hammock forum site for sleeping bag/poncho liner UQ's, both no-sew & sewing ideas.

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Ok. Slept then night in the hammock. Temps got no where near freezing though unfortunatley.

12:30am

Ambient air: 5c
Ambient in tarp: 4c

2:30am

Ambient air: 2c
Ambient in tarp: 5c

4:00am

Ambient air: 3 c
Ambient in tarp: 5.5c

Ok so without the mat I slept ok but not great. I had cold spots and had to rotate every so often. I know why. It's because the sleeping bag is just a cheap synthetic bag. If I had a 850+ fill then I don't think there would be a need for the mat at all. Also I think I really need a bungee on the under quilt. Some sections are ok but some are too tight and it's compressing the down. It's hard to get even without a bungee.

Otherwise it was pretty good but I was also wearing a wool shirt and duck down extra this time. That mat was really doing the trick of keeping me warm. I think this will work just fine at 0c - -5c without the mat but not with this current sleeping bag.

Maybe I can get some good down and stitch something together.

Last edited:

gelandangan

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I have just come back from weekend in Vulcan State Forest near Oberon.
It was -2c at night.
I use floating floor insulation piece, sort of like space blanket with about 1mm of foam stuck to one side of it.
I sew some buttons around my hammocks edges and use loops on the insulator to attach it to the bottom side of my hammock.
inside, I am in my normal sleeping bag, I think its rated 0c.
I get nice and toasty all night.
Sorry, no photo..

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I'd love to see a pic of that Gel.

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Great idea Darwin.

I might try again with the mat only this time and a space blanket in between the layers of the hammock.

Im also finding having the sleeping bag open and over me like a doona is actually better. I think because its really loose its creating a nice warm air pocket above me which is adding great insulation. This means I dont need alot of the excess of the sleeping bag either. Might need to trim that too like the black mamba. At this rate im not going to have any normal sleeping bags left. :_lol:

Last edited: