BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hammocks in QLD NP's

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right sub forum for this post. After reading somewhere here hammocks were not allowed in QLD NP's I almost cried. With a trip to Mt Barney coming up at the end of June & having no intentions of sleeping on the ground I called up DERM to find out for sure.

After a few transfers to the appropriate office I was given the number for the Ranger Station that services that region. After explaining there would be some protection in place rather than rope tied directly to the tree they were more than happy to give the hammock the green light, especially given climbers regularly use trees for anchors & redirects.

They did mention they'd 'prefer' we avoided soft bark trees.

So boys happy hanging.

BjornJ

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
for a couple of months?!
You must have so much better holidays than me :)

Looking at getting my first hammock now (emailing back and forth with Tenth Wonder for a custom one) and I'd be happy to get a weekend away!

Bjorn

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Very glad to hear it. I thought it was a bit odd which is why I had to confirm.

You won't regret hammocking Bjorn, it's the bomb.

AussiePreppers

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Nice one. I've found that as long as you are taking care not to interfere with the plants and wildlife around you in a detrimental manner that the rangers can be quite accommodating. I've been 'busted' several times in national parks with things I shouldn't have or doing things I shouldn't do, according to the posted rules, and a decent chat with the ranger explaining myself and the care / love I do show for the Aussie bush and they are completely understanding. I have been approached by rangers who are quite riled up and agitated though because they've had to deal with yobbos and d***heads who have no regard for the bush at all, but showing them the respect and courtesy you'd expect yourself always gets them smiling again - you'd be surprised how some people treat them.

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
showing them the respect and courtesy you'd expect yourself
The Golden Rule. The world would be a better place & lawyers out of business if everyone applied that to people & nature.

emailing back and forth with Tenth Wonder for a custom one
You'll have to throw up some pics & a review Bjorn.

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah most rangers are understanding when the realise your not a 'you know what'. I use the adjustable webbing suspension from warbonnet outdoors from my hammock and it goes fine. Ive used in on stringy bark on the odd occasion when in a fix and it was fine, wrapping around twice helps. Though im not very heavy anyway. I might make up some heshian pads for my straps to make them extra cushiony.

2012-01-05_15-42-01_867.jpg

BjornJ

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
The Golden Rule. The world would be a better place & lawyers out of business if everyone applied that to people & nature.

You'll have to throw up some pics & a review Bjorn.

Yes, I've asked Blake about posting a bulk-buy and he said to go for it :)
Tenth Wonder is going to give us a price for a bigger model and I'll post it in a new thread.

thanks
Bjorn