BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hand Chainsaw

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
I started with an old chainsaw and took the blade off
Then a used a generous squirt with WD40 and an old rag to clean it up a bit
I used a grinder and a punch to push out some of the connector pins (between the links)
20210328_144616.jpg

A simple wire handle from an old coat hanger ... and its ready to go ...
20210328_150400.jpg

The chain is blunt and still quite grubby, but it cut pretty well. I was impressed.
You can see it cutting through this dry log (above)

What I hadn't considered is that a chain saw runs in one direction, so all the teeth point forward
ie the blade cuts in one direction - only on the pull stroke.

A hand chainsaw has teeth pointing in both directions, so it cuts on both the push and pull stroke.
Much more efficient when hand sawing !

Also hand chainsaws have closer spacing between the teeth (ie more teeth per length) but as I say, this one cut quite well as it was !

I don't think I'll take it out bush, but it was fun to play with

Has anyone got any other ideas for what to do with the blade ?

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
That’s interesting, I would not have realised, it’s not dual cut, of course it’s one direction.

wonder how it would go if you cut another link mid way and switched a seaction in reverse,
you would at least have half cutting on the push and pull.

great idea 👍

we have a big chainsaw, but I just bought a new Ryobi brushless 18+ for process of small stuff,
have to say it’s better than I expected, maybe a different thing when the chain get blunt tho.. time will tell.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
MDU had a vintage military hand chainsaw that he demonstrated at the Boyup meet. Impressive piece of kit and a great upper body workout!

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
wonder how it would if you cut another link mid way and switched a seaction in reverse,
you would at least have half cutting on the bush and pull.

That's a good idea - I think that would make it easier to use .... but which way to join it.
Cutting teeth pointing towards the join, or the handle ?

(The circles at the end represent the handles and the join point is in the middle)
saw1.jpg

saw2.jpg

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
That's a good idea - I think that would make it easier to use .... but which way to join it.

(The circles at the end represent the handles and the join point is in the middle)
View attachment 28298

View attachment 28299

hmm not sure, :unsure: i guess thats the experiment, report back yours results ;)

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score

View attachment 28298

View attachment 28299

Awesome idea with the picture - it looks as though there is no advantage to either. To get a half stroke of sawing, you have to move the chain through a half stroke of no sawing. Essentially this is the same as the whole chain in one direction - full stroke of sawing, full return stroke of no sawing.

I was also going to make a hand saw with a sharp but well worn chain. Thankyou - you have saved me some time and educated me. I never knew that the purpose made ones were bi directional and with cutting teeth closer together etc. :oops::)

Last edited:

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
hmm not sure, :unsure: i guess thats the experiment, report back yours results ;)

Mozzie - you're definitely Management Material ! :D

Awesome idea with the picture - it looks as though there is no advantage to either. To get a half stroke of sawing, you have to move the chain through a half stroke of no sawing. Essentially this is the same as the whole chain in one direction - full stroke of sawing, full return stroke of no sawing.

I agree - the net result is each tooth cutting weather its on the forward or backward stroke.
The "benefit" probably comes from which is easier to pull mechanically. ... trial and error and a bit of personal preference !

I was also going to make a hand saw with a sharp but well worn chain. Thankyou - you have saved me some time and educated me. I never knew that the purpose made ones were bi directional and with cutting teeth closer together etc. :oops::)

I did a quick look online, to buy the joiner links (in Australia) costs as much as buying a purpose made hand chain saw !!!

There is another experiment I'll try and get done over Easter (with the chain in its current configuration)

..... then I'll try and cut the blade in half and bodge a linkage (it can't be too hard :unsure:)

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Mozzie - you're definitely Management Material ! :D

I agree - the net result is each tooth cutting weather its on the forward or backward stroke.
The "benefit" probably comes from which is easier to pull mechanically. ... trial and error and a bit of personal preference !

I did a quick look online, to buy the joiner links (in Australia) costs as much as buying a purpose made hand chain saw !!!

There is another experiment I'll try and get done over Easter (with the chain in its current configuration)

..... then I'll try and cut the blade in half and bodge a linkage (it can't be too hard :unsure:)
Hey aussie, what I was trying to say is that I don't think there is any advantage having half the chain facing one way and half the chain facing the other way. I think it is exactly the same amount of cutting time and time moving the chain through the non cutting part - it works out the same as just leaving the whole chain facing one way.

EG:
biderectional half / half chain = .5 stroke non cutting, .5 stroke cutting. So for the full length of the chain pulling in one direction you've only been cutting for half a length. To get an equivalent full length cut you have to move the chain through a full stroke in both directions - you will finish up back at your starting position.

one direction full length chain = 1 full stroke cutting, 1 full stroke non cutting. To get one full length cut you have to move the chain through a full stroke in the cutting direction, but then you have to move it back in the opposite direction ready to start the next cutting stroke. Again you will finish up back at your starting position.

Does this make sense, or have you already understood this and I'm a bit slow :LOL:

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I've never looked at them before - is that a standard setup (2 teeth one way, next two the opposite way)?

Kindliing

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Would be interesting to see that used , to get out of the car and clear a tree that’s fallen over blocking a track .
Should get the heart rate going I expect .

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Would be interesting to see that used , to get out of the car and clear a tree that’s fallen over blocking a track .
Should get the heart rate going I expect .
Yes like all hand chainsaw, they certainly give you a workout. This one cuts very fast, not quite as fast as my vintage military one except that one is quite big and heavy.

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
had a look around last night. The cheapest seems to be from the nordic store for €49 and free delivery for me when I tried. That's approx. $76.00. Note: if you do a search for nordic pocket saw you'll get many products that are not Nordic.

Taplow

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Could you use a bike chain tool to open say every other link then reverse alternate sections, to get closer to the purpose made hand chainsaw? Maybe not - the links look a fair bit different with permanent rivets.

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Could you use a bike chain tool to open say every other link then reverse alternate sections, to get closer to the purpose made hand chainsaw? Maybe not - the links look a fair bit different with permanent rivets.
Essentially you're right. Bicycle chains use a specific tool - you pop the pin, then you need a special pin to go back in. Essentially the pin is flared, sits nearly flush with the side of the chain, and doesn't need to be rounded like an old school rivet. Although joining links are becoming common place again now. Chainsaw chain has pins but the chain itself is obviously a different design. Rivets on chainsaw chain have proper caps. The tools work on a similar principle, but they're a different design to suit chainsaw chain. The other difference is the pins used to join chainsaw chain are like old school rivets - you insert the pin then round over the end with a tool

Last edited:

Taplow

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Wow! Really informative. So possible, but probably not worth buying the tools for this project unless you need them anyway.

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Wow! Really informative. So possible, but probably not worth buying the tools for this project unless you need them anyway.
I'm guessing you could punch it out; drill a hole in a piece of wood, lie the pin over the hole, and whack. There are generic punches in bunnings of various sizes. You'd need the wood to support the chain so that it doesn't bend when you punch. As far as rounding over the pin, that's what ball pean hammers were for I think, in the old days. Anything like that would do. This would definitely be fine if it wasn't going on a chainsaw - you'd want to be sure of your work if it was :)

These punches look good, they're kind of conical like the one in the video. I'd feel pretty happy doing it

Last edited:

Kindliing

Ray Mears
Reaction score
“Yes like all hand chainsaw, they certainly give you a workout. This one cuts very fast, not quite as fast as my vintage military one except that one is quite big and heavy.” MDU.

went up a track today I hadn’t been up since before the wet , had to get out and cut about 6 trees off the track that had fallen different places blocking it .
When I came to the 7th I saw it was a massive big old gum that had come down .

the biggest part of the tree over the track was about 2 foot wide and lots of branches ,lower on the trunk was much bigger .

so I decided to pull up and have lunch , as I’d had enough of chopping trees by then , :) pulled the Trangia metho cooker out , pork pieces , coffee , and a left over chicken soup id brought too,
Gave me time to consider what I wanted to do .

Really enjoyed that spot, after getting sweaty from swinging the axe the mosquitoes liked me lots , though I had some good mozzie repellent which worked well .

I thought of your hand chainsaw while I was there that’s why I am telling you all this , and I wondered how you would go .

Then I thought of the hard old timers on their axes and saws in the forest working all day long years ago ,
Then thought about a chainsaw , then after a while of enjoying thinking about cutting trees instead of actually chopping more I turned around and went back the way I’d come .

Last edited: