BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hand sanitizer

Kiwisailor

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Yep, I know, not the norm one would expect in a Bush craft forum...
However, as it is near impossible to purchase Hand Sanitiser here in NZ, I've been using Tea Tree Oil mixed with Methylated spirits and water in a spray bottle on boat for decades. The meths emulsifs the Oil and allows it it disperse.
Works well and can be used as a surface spray.
Pure alcohol ( meths ) can be used in a small bottle when not at hame.
Just a thought...

Boogers

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
In the hospital we have to use 70% alcohol based sanitizer, so if you are making your own you should aim for around 80% I reckon. The oil is a good idea for looking after the skin too, your hands really dry out when using this stuff all day.

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I made my own hand santizer. Because we're in Tassie, we didn't use much of it. I already had the isopropyl alcohol - 5 litres of it (100%). I use it for cleaning suspension stanchions, or knives, lenses, anything like that. I had to buy some glycerin and hydrogen peroxide. So, 70% isopropyl and 29% glycerin; this stuff is awesome for your hands. Most sanitizers water the glycerin down with water and other things. With 29% glycerine your hands feel great - no drying out at all. It's the best sanitizer I've ever used. Your hands don't feel oily or greasy - glycerin is amazing stuff :)