Handpresso Wild

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I had a bunch of reward points on my credit card and was looking through the list of camping gear they offer. Came across this. I would never buy it but it made me giggle but not as much as the promo video. Trust me wait to the second scene! :risatonaD:

[video=youtube;tzoY-_5AtDo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzoY-_5AtDo[/video]

Any way, looks like a funky device if your into that. Only thing is i hate devices like this where they rip you off into having to buy their refills

chutes

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Hahaha that's kind of cool. Easy enough to get around the "proprietary coffee pods" issue by making your own reusuable pod out of calico. I like it.

Here's my current real coffee setup for out bush...

Option 1 -

This:

plus this:

Option 2 -

This:

plus this:

I wonder how difficult it would be to put together a pressurised hand espresso machine using a compact bicycle pump, a carbonated beverage bottle and a tyre tube valve?

Bushman Ben

Les Stroud
Reaction score
If you're into good coffee while in the bush, you should try the Airspresso, or the Aerobie Aeropress.

I've got an Airspresso and I rate it highly. They're well made, relatively light (~350g) and it uses traditional espresso grind, which makes for a much easier stock up than some proprietary bag or pod.

Bushman Ben

Les Stroud
Reaction score
I wonder how difficult it would be to put together a pressurised hand espresso machine using a compact bicycle pump, a carbonated beverage bottle and a tyre tube valve?
I missed this the first time I read the thread, Thats pretty much exactly what the Airspresso is. I did a blow by blow review on it back in April; have a look at the photo step-by-step it works absolutely fantastically.

Last edited:

BushChef

Karen Hood
Staff member
Reaction score
I had a bunch of reward points on my credit card and was looking through the list of camping gear they offer. Came across this. I would never buy it but it made me giggle but not as much as the promo video. Trust me wait to the second scene! :risatonaD:

[video=youtube;tzoY-_5AtDo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzoY-_5AtDo[/video]

Any way, looks like a funky device if your into that. Only thing is i hate devices like this where they rip you off into having to buy their refills
I dig this.... that would go down well after a long hike lol

Joe

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
just need a camping milk frother and the camping latte scene would explode!

Quinkan

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Mukka Express from Bialetti. Will set you back a hundred and change, boro glass weighs a ton but for car trips and a gas burner, go for it. Very, very nice and works really well with powdered or uht milk. I use oxfam fair trade world espresso blend, comes out like liquid crack :D Love it.

Bodum make some solid lightweight presses too, pretty cheap.

Bloozz

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I think the handpresso does have a model that you can put loose coffee in rather than their pods. I was looking at them a while ago and decided they just weren't worth the money.

Growers Cup (http://www.growerscup.com/eng/) looks good for those who like to have a real coffee outdoors.

AussiePreppers

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I use an aeropress in the bush. Roast my own coffee with one of those campfire popcorn makers. If you're addicted to coffee, give it a go.

The first time I used it I followed the instructions to the letter but was a bit too excited to notice that the measurements were for a double espresso. So after drinking it (on a work night) I was up til 2am jittering then when I finally got to sleep I got a massive migraine. I'll never read the instructions on new toys again!

It's super tactical and you can probably strap it to a molle vest somehow.

[video=youtube;IKgKX2aZCmE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKgKX2aZCmE[/video]

[video=youtube;d3ZA5Eg9wfg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3ZA5Eg9wfg[/video]

discord

Russell Coight
Reaction score
What's wrong with tthe old stove top espresso? You can get alloy ones pretty cheap..

180px-Moka2.jpg

The handle has melted off mine from too many campfires so I put a wire handle on like a billy and pour it like one :)

Lepmeister

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
What's wrong with tthe old stove top espresso? You can get alloy ones pretty cheap..

View attachment 9243

The handle has melted off mine from too many campfires so I put a wire handle on like a billy and pour it like one :)
Just back from searching the kitchen with no luck.... We had one of these that was just suitable for one cup. Small enough to fit in the pack for sure.