happy fatwood Friday

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
it's my first attempt at forging my own, I didn't like it's length so I fixed it last night and took 3cm off the end of it, much better now.

Forged from a old Nicholson file, sparks almost as well as my best strikers.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Happy Fatwood Friday, fatwood supplied by Aussie123 I have to admit I am far better at using a flint and steel than I am at using a ferro rod more practice required obviously.

barra650

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I was knocking down and old fence a couple of years ago and one of the stays broke . Low and behold , a nice seem of fatwood was to had . I still use it to this day . I had a bit of a laugh when you put the flame out .;) We have all done that .

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
yeah it was a doh moment, I nearly re-shot it...LoL But I like everyone to see it warts and all.

I was a bit embarrassed at how long it took to get the fatwood to light, it's really good stuff (it is all gooey with resin) and it should have caught first or second strike with my ferro rod, but I put it down to my incompetents with a ferro rod.

barra650

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
yeah it was a doh moment, I nearly re-shot it...LoL But I like everyone to see it warts and all.

I was a bit embarrassed at how long it took to get the fatwood to light, it's really good stuff (it is all gooey with resin) and it should have caught first or second strike with my ferro rod, but I put it down to my incompetents with a ferro rod.
That's OK . I think I posted a couple of weeks ago how it took me 3 times to get a small fire going in the back yard . Then a few days back out bush I used a magnifying glass and had a fire within a minute . Maybe it's just the bio rhythms of the day .

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
fatwood Friday, not a very impressive piece today, hence I want to burn it off. Still it has enough of the orange in it to warrant it to be called fatwood just barely. Sitting on some shavings

how it burns, I am finally getting better with my ferro rod

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Happy Fatwood Friday, this little piece I've been showing lately is getting a lot better the deeper I go into it

and how it burns, no where near as good strike rate as last week however

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
while not a fatwood Friday post I still want to show some fatwood that @Aussie123; gave me, well actually a core that is pure resin, completely infused with resin, pure fatwood.
I have cut all the white pinewood off it and only left the golden resin impregnated wood. This is about as good as it gets. I don't know how you could get the wood more impregnated with resin.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
yeah I would mate, as the two shards you sent me were premium fatwood and as shown when you cut it down and go deeper it only gets better.

That small core is going to feature on my next Fatwood Friday video along with the shavings I took from the rest of it.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
another fatwood core, this one is a lot bigger than the previous one I posted but is just as impregnated with resin.

I have tried to cut all the white pine wood off but have left a little on this one.

Still it is pretty much pure resin.

Again this was supplied by @Aussie123; and is the last of the fatwood that he gave me.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
just got this lot of fatwood to test from RockyInstincts, Malachi is wanting to expanding his inventory and wants me to review some bushcraft stuff.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Happy fatwood Friday everyone, burning off the last of my good stuff given to me by Aussie123 mixed in with some of my lower grade fatwood, I went with flint and steel this week just to change things up.