BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hat mod

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Generally when I'm in the bush I have a hat that I can shove in my pack when it gets dark or wet. It also has a chin strap for when it is windy. Lots of ventilation and it dries quickly.

However, I've had this leather hat for eons, well 25 years or so. I bought it at a steam rally in Swan Hill - it was the last trip I did with my father. I remember it cost $15.00. It's relatively heavy, but light for a leather hat. I've treated it a few times over the years with dubbin, but lately I use olive oil for all leather which seems much better.

Any way, I generally wear this hat around home or while working on the block. It's not bad in light wind, but useless in strong wind. If it is warm, my head gets hot in it.

I finally bought some hole punches from Bunnings hardware, and punched a few holes to let the hot air out that must accumulate in the area between the top of my head and the top of the hat. Also a couple of holes just above where my forehead would sit in the hat.

What a difference! This has added a whole extra level of comfort and usability - I look for reasons to wear this hat now. Sometimes I can actually feel a breeze through the holes, and my head is generally cooler.

Holes placed on top are to let warm / hot air escape. I imagine air is drawn through the holes in the front of the hat then escapes through the top, creating some circulation.

20210318_122912.jpg

Note below; the little holes grouped together at the side - the hat came with these. The side top of my head actually sits here blocking the holes, so they are basically useless. In comparison, that one hole at the front of the hat sits above where my forehead makes contact. There is another hole place symmetrically on the other side of the seam too; these holes make a big difference.

20210318_122948.jpg

Last edited:

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
my father used to wear Akubra Hats all the time, had several for day wear and one he chose over all others was his work one, distinctly remember it had a small row of punched holes along the top each side, he loved that hat but OMG and heck it was a sorry sight LOL

Charlie-at-Nangeela-Orchard.jpg

yeah funny skirt, hes laying i think lime around under fruit trees at the orchard

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Just looked up the location of the photo; it looks gorgeous climate - sunny, lush and cool. I spent a year living on Nareen Station (close to your dad's orchard?) when I was in grade 2. I think it was Nareen - the name rings a bell. Awesome memories. 12 kids at the local school (prep to grade 6); wando heights I think it was called. Circa 1969? Mr Coleman was our teacher. Claude Austin owned Nareen at the time - he used to take me bird watching. We played with some of the Fraser kids.

I remember a car yard in Coleraine or Casterton; the back of it was full of traction steam engines.

Last edited: