BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This forum is currently closed to new user registrations. You are welcome to browse the forum as a guest and existing users may still login with their existing credential's to post on the forum.

Hi from Campbells Creek, Vic

merzbild

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm Tris. I'm new to the forum and to bushcraft.

I'm a knife maker and I've been making a few bushcraft knives. In particular I've been making some fairly traditional Kephart knives.

I'm here mostly to learn some new skills and get a feel for what would make a bushcraft knife better for use in Australia.

Cheers,
Tris.

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
The kephart is a great style - I imagine they'd be great slicers too with a high flat grind.

Welcome

merzbild

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Thanks.

I've attached images of one really early one (with one of the first sheaths I've made) and a more recent one where I tried a composite spine. The idea with the composite spine was to have rounded edges near the handle so you could comfortably rest your thumb on the back of the blade, and then a little step up to a square spine so there's somewhere to strike a ferro rod.

I'm also working on another pattern entirely. I found that some people really like the Kephart pattern and those that don't tend to want a cluster of different things: a pointier point, a more contoured handle and a fully rounded back edge. I'll try to post pictures this week when I get my first version finished.

Attachments

• Kephart on bark.jpg
    Kephart on bark.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Keohart.jpg
    Keohart.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 5

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
the original was a beautiful design and a great all rounder and also good for meal prep / kitchen duties. I wouldn't try to please those who don't like the design - they just want a different knife. It really is a classic and good in its own right. No knife is good at everything, but that design is fairly universal in it's potential uses. Great choice for a sheath knife.

merzbild

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Hi Randall, yeah I absolutely agree. My idea is to make two different bushcraft knives to appeal to two different types of user - one that is more contoured and pointy and some version of the Kephart design.