BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

High Range Day Pack.....Kinda

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
The final pack for the order, Kryptek Highlander w tan webbing, is good to go!

To rehash, the features & specs are: 40L capacity including side pockets (approx 2L ea)
: 1.1kg including frame sheet

: 1000D Cordura base, back & shoulder straps (high wear areas) & 500D everywhere else
: roll top closure, by far the most effective way to keep dust & crap out of your pack

: contoured shoulder straps

: removable frame sheet with dual micro stays. The original single stay worked but I wanted to remove any chance of barrelling
: internal hydration sleeve with dual hose ports

: rear centre compression that effectively secures the load & narrows the profile of the pack
: independent redirect compression on side pockets

: side pockets have reinforced mouth for easy retrieval & stowage of items

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Please send to the Howling Dingo You Tube Channel for testing..Pack will be returned within a 15 to 20 year time frame..

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Really good design Benny! particularly avoiding the barrelling. That's a light weight for a framed pack.

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Thanks guys, really enjoying the development of this gear, not to mention gaining invaluable experience.

Please send to the Howling Dingo You Tube Channel for testing..Pack will be returned within a 15 to 20 year time frame..

I'll see what I can do mate..... I truly hope all my builds will last at least that long!

Really good design Benny! particularly avoiding the barrelling. That's a light weight for a framed pack.

Yeah mate, I'm very happy with the weight. It's been something I've been mindful of while not sacrificing quality or durability.

Looks great mate. I am going to DIY a pack soon so I might hit you up for some tips ;).

For sure mate! Although I've seen your handy work, you might put me out of business before I get in! :linguini: Seriously though mate shout out anytime.

Oh and probably time soon for your own website I reckon.

Yeah? I better pull my finger out then, & make some time! Thanks mate, might get a few hints off you for that one.

Last edited:

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Thanks Doc. I'm moving away from offering the custom options & just offering a few styles, one of them being this layout. From the styles I'll scale the bag size up or down adjusting the suspension as required. This should provide a good range to suit most users.

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Hi Benny,

Do you plan on incorporating a style with a hip belt? I'm picturing a longer but narrower pack than the style(s) shown in this thread.

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Yeah mate, I certainly do. I'm actually working on a modular frame that can be used as a hauler &/or different sized pack bags. Here's a link to a post with a few pics of where it was at a little while ago: http://bushcraftoz.com/forums/showthread.php?7503-Some-Recent-Testing-Pics

There are pics of harvested deer strapped to it (not me, a couple of guys I know). I figured if it can do that comfortably it can do anything.

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
G'day mate, sorry for getting to this sooner. I was offering a certain amount of customisation & this configuration (I'm guessing you're referring to the pack with side & front pocket) was just over $300. I'm going away from that though & just selecting a couple of solid layouts that will suit most, this being one of them. This will do a few things: it'll save a little bit of prep time, I'll be able to build regardless of orders coming in so you may not have to wait & it'll make them slightly cheaper.

I realise cheaper options are available & if I got them made overseas I could sell them cheaper but I make all these rigs myself & there's a ton of work in these packs.

Thanks mate, any other questions fire away.

jd1

Les Stroud
Reaction score
sounds good benny. not interested in cheap or overseas when I can buy quality built locally. got the new bow to finish paying for and Christmas so will prob be hitting you up for a pack early in the new year. looking forward to it

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Too easy mate. Thanks. I forgot to mention lifetime warranty on workmanship, if it fails I fix it.