BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hiking tent advice please ?

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
I’m looking for a new hiking tent. Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

A tent which I’ve had a look at is a Big Sky Revolution 2 (3 pole porch version). http://bigskyproducts.com/big-sky-revolution-2p-tent.aspx
bigskyrevolution2pporchdooropen800w.jpg

This tent has a lot of nice features.
It has a “SuprSil “ (ie silnylon) type of floor which seems very slippery. Has anyone had experience with silnylon floors? How do you deal with the slip ? are they properly waterproof ?

Its early days in my search and I’m open to suggestions of other tents too. Any suggestions ?

I do have a few criteria:
-being a hiking tent I particularly want light weight 2.5kg (+/- a bit) max.
-2 person
-2 vestibules, 2 entrances
-Minimum 210cm long (83 inches)
-3 to 4 season
-rain proof
-Wateproof bucket floor

Thanks

(No Affiliation)

Lepmeister

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I have one of these and whilst I'm not sure of the length the vertical ends really make it so roomy in there. I'm 6'1 and have heaps of room at both head and foot end. I use a long mat that 7cm high so the foot room was a massive factor in finding the right tent.

http://www.paddypallin.com.au/the-north-face-talus-2-man-tent-22871.html

No affiliation.... I got mine through a fellow work mate you used to do marketing for the importer so got it at a good rate.

Redtail

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Most higher end modern hiking tents have silnylon floors. Stuff tends to slide about a bit.

I have the MSR Nook. Cosy for 2 and only one entrance. That's probably not very helpful given your spec.
I do have the optional footprint (matching groundsheet), which is worth the money for our environment.

For extra space I carry a Terra Rosa tarp.

Occasionally I will use the tarp by itself with a groundsheet of Tyvek. Or add an mesh inner that I picked up on eBay for about $40. Have a search around this forum for that idea - someone else posted it up a while back.

You should easily be able to crack 2.5kg. The Nook comes in at 1.6kg including the fly!

Happy hunting.

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Aussie,
The Big Sky tent designs look great. Unfortunately there have been a few occasions over the years where the owner took orders and then disappeared for months, with no one knowing when/ if delivery would be made. Maybe check that he actually has that model in stock before ordering?

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
We have a few tents but the one that ticks all the boxes for us is our Black Wolf Grasshopper, pretty much covers your list too...it is 2.6 kg so that's a plus on your 2.5 Our Grasshopper has stood the time so far with no issues having had it a few years now. I have made a new stuff bag for it so it now fits into a long tube style bag for sliding up into our kayak. The thing I like about it, it's fast to set up, has two entries, big entries at that. Storage pockets inside and in roof, the bucket floor is deep and you can set it up with out its fly. Had no issues with zippers been great....my 6'3 hubby has no issues as the tent is 235x210x100

http://www.wildearth.com.au/buy/black-wolf-grasshopper-2-person-freestanding-hikin/gras

no affiliation, think we got our tent from Outdoors and Beyond in 2011 or 12

Luke777

Les Stroud
Reaction score
The six moons design tents are a good entry level lightweight 1person tent. Descent size for a 1 man and being a hybrid style tent cuts weight at only around 900 grams. Can use trekking poles or buy the tent poles separate. I grabbed the tent poles for mine

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hey Aussie. I don't think they are made anymore but I have a North Face Rock 22. All the features you mentioned. If you can find a second hand one they are seriously excellent. A little on the heavy side at 2.5kg but solid as. Not a single problem and I have used it probably 100 times since 2010 motorcycle camping, car, hike and kayak.

Details here: http://www.trailspace.com/gear/the-north-face/rock-22/

north-face-rock-22-tent.jpg

Last edited:

n5750547

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
If I was to go to ground again TarpTent would be might my first stop.

A Double Rainbow would tick almost all your boxes. It is rather expensive however...

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

DKDAM

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Hi Aussie,

I've recently had some success with the Moondance series tents from Mont. I have the Moondance 1 which is plenty comfortable for me at 188cm. The Moondance 2 is wider and comes in under 2 kg.

Bogong equipment sells them so if you're in the city at some stage, I think they have one set up. But shop around if you end up deciding on one. I got the Moondance 1 for $150 cheaper elsewhere, Bogong couldn't match that price.

They are an Australian manufacturer so that a bit of a bonus.

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

DJ*

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Hi Aussie, just back from an 8 month job overseas that (with the exception of a few dodgy premises) we lived in tents, all snugpack. They have various military light weight specs, easy to pack and hike long distance with, various sizes, very robust and durable. Our favourite features is the inner is black which significantly helps sleeping, especially if you need shut eye during the day. Just worth looking at. DJ

rurik

Walkabout
Reaction score
This does not quite meet all your critria but it is a good price. https://www.massdrop.com/buy/wild-country-zephyros

I have one of these and love it https://henryinthewoods.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/bd-ml-mora.jpg even in the rain I find it not having a floor no problem but i tend to use a bivvy bag as a matter of course.

I also have two of these http://takasave.com/assets/special-buys/aldi-au/big/WK29_PD_48b.jpg which I picked up from aldi and they are great but you will have to wait for them to come back. They sleep two adults really well but I don't know how well they will go in the snow. Next time they come out I am going to grab four of them and each member of the family will have one rather then one big family tent.