BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hoochie shealter

trolley

Les Stroud
Reaction score
This is the shealter set up I will be testing out to night. 2 hoochies joined together, ridge line and tapered at one end. Low profile, so should hold body warmth in. Also with a small fire with a heat reflector, should be nice and warm in the hills. I hope haha.

Attachments

• 20140611_102318.jpg
    20140611_102318.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 20140611_102441.jpg
    20140611_102441.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 20140611_100048.jpg
    20140611_100048.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 32

barefoot dave

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Nice work mate.
A couple of notes for you or those who read;
a melting hootchie is great at keeping you warm: small flame, good distance and use a heat reflector to maximise both. Use caution in higher winds or with fuel that throws off sparks and hot ash.
a fair decline in the ridge line allows the inevitable condensation to run away from your face.
The new (post '95, how old am I?!) lightweight hoothies puncture easily. always use a ground sheet underneath one. Better yet, only use the hootchie above you.
Lay it out, peg it out, THEN lift it up.
It will look more like what you wanted and won't flap in the breeze! don't want to scare away the wildlife or attract unwanted attention, eh?
If you do get holes, and you will, a bit if Sikaflex 227 oneither side (inside and out) will do a good job. Good combination of durability and flexibility.

Cheers, BD ave

trolley

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Yeah all good points mate. Dont want a big fire just small with a reflector see how it goes. Hopefully not up in flames haha. I have been using a hoochie for a long time and yeah have had to patch it up a few times. I have got a canvas tarp too, that im playing around with .

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Veritable Taj Mahootchie there Trolley.
Make sure it's well pegged down as mine nearly launched off the mountain a few weeks ago due to the strong winds and no trees to tie onto.
Cheers
Bloffy

Lifecraft

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Last time I planned to sleep under one of these, just before going to bed I realised it was crawling with ants.
Set it up and then had dinner by the fire, and completely missed the fact the ants had swarmed over the area I'd planned to sleep.

Luckily had another tarp set up which I ended up sleeping under.

I'd still like to get another one or two though, because they were so light and packed up so small, I've never had any shelter that portable.

I don't know if they're the same as the ones posted though. They were ex military, used ones. Even had the odd spark burn hold in it.

How much should someone expect to pay for a good one these days?

barefoot dave

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Anywhere between $30 for 'don't even bother' to $70 for 'Brand new but still a rip off'. An average price for a good condition one would be $50.

thejungleisneutral

Walkabout
Reaction score
Anywhere between $30 for 'don't even bother' to $70 for 'Brand new but still a rip off'. An average price for a good condition one would be $50.

Sadly, I have to agree. Occasionally you'll find a bargain on an issued one but in general they seem to have more value to a collector than to a user these days and are priced accordingly.

I tend to buy hootchies new and aftermarket now, since I don't care about IRR or printed NSNs or broadarrows on the tag. Huss makes a good Auscam one and Combat Australia does a very decent olive drab heavyweight version with bright nickel hardware. Both are standard size and integrate with the issue item and both are under $50 shipped in Australia.

rurik

Walkabout
Reaction score
Why use a hootchie over a tarp? I have a few left over from my time in and have found that I prefer to use my sili nilon poncho if I am going "hard core" or the tarp of my hammock which packs up as small as two hootchies but gives me a lot more space.

trolley

Les Stroud
Reaction score
I have 2 left over that the Army issued me. yeah they can be a bit steep to buy.

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I'm with Rurik on this on. I liked my hootchi but can't go past my DD 3x3. You get more coverage & have more set up options with a square tarp. Each to their own though.

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
There was an Aussie distributor but he doesn't seem to be around anymore. You may have to go direct. There's someone in NZ but their markup is substantial.

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Check in with Simon M/Tier Gear. I know he just got in some great quality silnylon & might knock one up for you.