Ipod Touch 4 goodies - probably also available for iphone

chutes

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
With my B'day coming up, I have been reliably informed that a 32gb ipod touch 4th gen is on its way to replace my trusty old 8gb 3G model which drowned the other week. Shame, I'd had that one for a few years and it had literally become a "tablet in my pocket" for work and play.

Ipod Touch 4

The ipod touch 4 is great for my purposes - HD camera, mp3 player, voice memo recorder (vital for me), mp4 vid player, video calls over wifi (facetime/skype/etc), I can read and search pdf files, create word docs and excel spreadsheets, presumably do some very basic video cutting with the imovie app and a bunch of other things. It is however, missing two things - the magnetometer and the GPS. Both of these are found in the iphone 4, but unfortunately I don't like the iphone 4. For actual phone functionality, give me an android phone like my recently-purchased Huawei Sonic any day of the week. I like to be able to "root" my phone ;) and explore its mysteries in a windows PC environment. For the record, my phone's main functions are - phone, in-vehicle GPS, removeable FM radio and MP3 player for the landcruiser. It performs all of these functions remarkably well and with the Androzic mapping app loaded with OziExplorer topo maps, it does a great job out bush as well.

The only thing I'll miss in the new ipod is the GPS. There are a couple of options for adding GPS to a $307 (or $188 for 8gb) ipod touch...

First is useful for the fourby but not much else - http://www.jayjayssales.com.au/magellan-iphone-premium-wgps-fiphone-ipod-touch-p-11580.html ( no affiliation)

This is a Magellan in-vehicle nav car kit - adds a cradle, suction mechanism and battery charging, essentially turning your ipod touch into a Tom Tom. Not my first choice since it's a battery sucker and not all that portable.

Second is http://www.gpscradle.dualav.com/ (no affiliation)

Dual XGPS251 GPS & Battery Cradle for iPod touch. This is a cradle with battery extender and GPS. Allows charging the ipod via a micro USB cable and it is still possible to listen to your music or an audio book with headphones while you're using the GPS. Must be careful that it's a recent-manufacture item or it won't work with the ipod 4. This one is not too bulky and heavy that you'd leave it at home, making it a possibility for bush use for recording tracks, etc. It's not at all rugged or water-proof/resistant, so this limits its functionality for the price.

Third is a plug in - http://alatest.com.au/reviews/satellite-receivers/bad-elf-gps-receiver/po3-137990191,39/ (no affiliation)

Bad Elf GPS. This one just plugs into your ipod and away you go. It can recharge itself and the ipod via a micro USB cable and the headphone jack is still accessible for your listening pleasure. Cheapest of the bunch. Once again, not rugged or water resistant, although it MAY be able to be used with a rugged case (see below). Since the GPS unit will detach and fit into your pocket easily enough it might be worth a look for the gram-weenies.

Fourth is a bluetooth gizmo for use with a separate GPS gizmo. I'm not going to link it here since it's unwieldy. These are made by Dual like the XGPS251 - you'll find them on the Dual website above

Fifth doesn't exist for me - yet. I wish I'd known about this one sooner as my old ipod would have survived and become a couple of orders of magnitude more useful for me. http://www.magellangps.com/lp/toughcase/index.html (no affiliation)

Awesome idea - not only protects your device from shock, dust, neglect and moisture, but it adds a battery extender and a GPS. These are getting very cheap now, so I would recommend them to anyone who uses an older (2nd or 3rd gen) ipod touch or iphone. I can't wait for the release of the next version which is compatible with the ipod touch 4th gen.

I haven't yet decided which GPS I will use - whether to grab a Bad Elf or wait for the new magellan toughcase for the iphone/ipod 4. What I have decided is that I will be getting a protective case for this one. No more slipping the ipod in an armband sleeve upside down when it rains, adding some duct tape and hoping for the best - this time, I want a milspec, sealed, water, dust and shock resistant case which I don't have to open to use the ports or use the touchscreen. Here's the one I found - http://store.griffintechnology.com/ipod/ipod-touch/survivor-ipod-touch (no affiliation).

Based on my research, this one is so far ahead of the various offerings by the likes of otterbox it's not funny. The best part for me was the price - black one with belt clip for A$28.50 shipped off Amazon. Gotta love that. They also make em for ipads and iphones if you're into such technological arsehattery ;)

I reckon these smart devices have just about made the traditional GPS like the Gecko or my old Foretrex 101 obsolete. GPS is a killer app - pardon the pun.

Last edited:

Red23

Ray Mears
Reaction score
oooh I have a 32gb 4th gen, and its busted screen angers me everytime I look at it.

I reckon I might get one of those cases, and look into the Magellan GPS when it comes out

cheers for the heads up

Glenn

chutes

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
That sounds angry-making indeed Red. When my previous ipod touch drowned I discovered that even when dried out I couldn't retrieve my data using itunes or copytrans suite. That was angry-making too. I had a whole host of PDF'd reference books on there including my only PDF copy of "Wild Food Plants of Australia" as well as a bunch of voice memos I'd recorded over the preceding month. Yes, I should back up my data more often :(

I've been looking for an excuse to pick up the Magellan Toughcase and since I don't have a compatible device, I've just ordered one for the old man, who has a 3g iphone. It'll be useful for him as a battery extender, since he's clogged it with unnecessary apps and therefore whinges to me how bad the battery life is on an iphone. The GPS function will allow him to use it as a Tom Tom while NOT racking up stupid phone bills - the maps function relies upon triangulating cellular phone towers and other info which chews up data. GPS in-car nav on a phone is free using several (large) apps so hopefully it will be a thoughtful gift. Of course, now I'll be able to see if the forthcoming toughcase for the ipod touch / iphone 4 is worth the money.

chutes

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Yesterday the Griffin Survivor ipod 4 case arrived and this morning I took possession of the ipod touch.

I am very impressed with the Griffin Survivor case. The belt clip kind of sucks a little but the case it self is extremely well thought-out and it does what it says on the box as well as a few other things. Highly recommended.