BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is spinifex resin collectable in NSW?

hgoat

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I wish to collect some spinifex resin, and as the title suggests I'm in NSW. I'm wondering if the plant species grows in NSW? or what is the closest locality that its likely to be found.

I'd prefer to collect it myself but if anyone knows if it can be purchased anywhere? that would be good too.

Thankyou.

koalaboi

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Hi,

I looked into this a while ago when going to lake mungo but the spinifex there is not resinous.

There's a quite a few species of spinifex and only a few which produce collectable resin.

I did some research on it but am not too sure of the exact findings but from memory, there's not much chance of getting some in NSW.

KB

Ranger

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Is there any reason you only want spinifex resin? If not you can use Xanthorrhoea or Pine resin (from a pine plantation or cypress pine). I like Xanthorrhoea because it's easy to find and I love the smell.

Last edited:

Le Loup

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I wish to collect some spinifex resin, and as the title suggests I'm in NSW. I'm wondering if the plant species grows in NSW? or what is the closest locality that its likely to be found.

I'd prefer to collect it myself but if anyone knows if it can be purchased anywhere? that would be good too.

Thankyou.

I have not seen any spinifex growing in my area of New England. What do you want the resin for?
Keith.

sokorny

Russell Coight
Reaction score
In NSW most "spinifex" is located in the rangelands (western NSW). Although this falls under the species Triodia (which is what many of the inland 'spinifex' grasses are classified as in Australia). I did a search of Triodia on NSW's PlantNet for you and here are the results (find what might be close to you ... not sure about their resin properties at least with a species name you can research them individually more thorough http://plantnet.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/NSWfl.pl?page=nswfl&search=yes&namesearch=triodia&dist=)

There is a coastal native true spinifex species (Spinifex sericeus) http://plantnet.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/NSWfl.pl?page=nswfl&lvl=sp&name=Spinifex~sericeus. Again unsure of the resin properties.

hgoat

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Yeh thanks guys, it does seem to more a arid north WA thing it seems, a black fella up there should go into business selling it. I'll look into blackboy resin, I know there's the odd one around here, I'm just west of the blue mountains so I assume that was the dominant bonding "glue" in this area?

I wanted it to try and bond a spear point.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
NW spinifex does burrn hot. When I was living in Port Hedland, some mates and I were out camping. A spark from the campfire set some spinifex off. It WENT OFF. Without any fire fighting equipment, my mate jumped in his old Land Rover and drove flat out around the fire, creating a fire break. Fire eventually burnt out but the spinifex fire WAS HOT! Thankfully it only burnt a relatively small area but it had the potential to be huge. It was pretty hairy for a few minutes.
You can see why when they have a bushfire up north how they burn out such big areas, particularly if they have a tailwind.
Cheers
Bloffy

Kindling

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Sinew from a kangaroo leg or possibly back may also be another option worth looking into from memory.

sokorny

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I grew up near Hornsby (upper north shore of Sydney). Moving over west I found it quite different in regards to the Aboriginal culture, as the Noongar people / culture covers a large area of the south west of WA (including all of Perth). When compared to the numerous pockets of tribes / cultures around Sydney alone. The ku-ring-gai people were the main ones I remember growing up (probably because I lived within walking/riding distance of Ku-ring-gai Chase NP)

Did a quick search online for Aboriginal culture in the Blue Mountains (as I knew there was quite a strong one). Found out that the Blue Mountains Library (based in Katoomba) has an Aboriginal Knowledge Centre, you'd imagine they'd have some information regarding how they made spears (including the local bonding method).

Most seem to suggest as @kindling said they used kangaroo sinew and blackboys (Xanthorrhoea spp.)

I remember blackboys in the bush near me growing up in northern Sydney, so they are around (we use to walk north along the rail tracks and they were heaps always just off the tracks in the bush ... more trains nowadays on the tracks though, so probably not a smart thing today) . The sandstone areas I believe are the best (and considering that many need fire to propagate or spread their seed you might want to explore areas that were burnt a year or so ago ... I know the main species in WA flower almost a year, to the day, after a fire).