BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ishi: The last 'wild Indian' in North America.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
I remember when the news article appeared in the West Australian about the last two Indigenous Australians who came in out of the desert.
It would have been the mid-80s I think and they came in to somewhere like Leonora in WA. From memory, the two had "eloped" as a young couple and had lived in the desert all their lives. I think they came in because of ill health as an older couple. Just tried to find a reference but no luck.
Cheers
Bloffy

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
I remember when the news article appeared in the West Australian about the last two Indigenous Australians who came in out of the desert.
It would have been the mid-80s I think and they came in to somewhere like Leonora in WA. From memory, the two had "eloped" as a young couple and had lived in the desert all their lives. I think they came in because of ill health as an older couple. Just tried to find a reference but no luck.
Cheers
Bloffy

I have a book about them somewhere.... http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/453035.The_Last_of_the_Nomads

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Interesting story. Is it a good read? Sometimes these things get lost in the words.
I am glad my memory wasn't so shot as to not remember that article.
Thanks Hairy. You are a wealth of information. I might try and dig that book up.
Cheers
Bloffy

Verge

Russell Coight
Reaction score
It can't be a good thing when a born and bred native has to leave because they are starving - or is it because they didn't have a family/ relative network to help?
I think I vaguely remember the story about the desert couple in Australia. It was a doco - shown perhaps 10 years ago. If I remember right, they were also starving and quite old? Had journalist/ TV who caught up with them every now and again, but they eventually were persuaded to leave. Is this the same story?

Thanks for the link too, nice tip to bind the potentials together.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
It can't be a good thing when a born and bred native has to leave because they are starving - or is it because they didn't have a family/ relative network to help?
I think I vaguely remember the story about the desert couple in Australia. It was a doco - shown perhaps 10 years ago. If I remember right, they were also starving and quite old? Had journalist/ TV who caught up with them every now and again, but they eventually were persuaded to leave. Is this the same story?

Thanks for the link too, nice tip to bind the potentials together.

Hi V,
"Ishi" is a completely different story, he was a native American.
Have a read of the articles mentioned above, and if you read a bit wider there is quite a complex story to be told and a fair bit of reading between the lines too !

Kindling

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I watched some of the ishi movie , they said the provisions that the remaining tribe members had stored to survive the winter , were stumbled upon by the whites and taken.

Ishi's remaining people died , and he was the last remaining .
I'm going to go and download and watch the rest soon ' slow internet ' .

I think that was the gist of the cause . from what I gathered .

The snag films link is on YouTube.