BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lightweight camper trailer

Kindlling

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Those things are well known and well liked, even in the US where they are imported. Some folk use the smaller RV1 just as you describe.
The more I think about it the easier it seems .
Throw the kitchen table on the trailer , strap it down.
Put the tent on top and use rubber truck tyre tube tied on the corner peg loops , then attach them to the tarp hooks on the trailer .
yeehaw! 😂

kidding ,though it can be as easy or hard as you want it to be .

the RV1 oz tent looks like it has a nice long front awning roof . That would be good for the down pitch from the trailers height and some room out the front for cooking etc .

would near enough fit on the trailer the rv1 , don’t know what the quality is like these days actually . Sounds like the larger ones can crumple in the wind now going by some of the online reviews .

the rv1 tent being smaller would catch less wind .

Last edited:

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
ounds like the larger ones can crumple in the wind
Probably an aluminium internal frame. For sure, you'd want a bit of protection from strong wind; something you'd normally have with low altitude (leisure) camping. That's one of the considerations when setting up any tent though; what direction is the wind blowing (if it is, set the back into it), morning sun, midday shade, gentle slope or hump etc. , and of course widow makers :oops:

Those purpose made roof top tents are expensive. I imagine another + for the rv1 is versatility. If you get it to work on your trailer you still have the option of setting it up on the ground.

We have several of those blow mould light weight fold up tables - I imagine we'd take one. It's amazing how useful they are. They're so light and strong that they'd easily store on top of other gear in the trailer.

Kindlling

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
If you’re ever out bush and it starts raining for a couple weeks, having somewhere with a bit of room inside while you sit it out will be a luxury .

I think the rooftop tents look overpriced too . Though bargains can always be found if your patient , I see them on gumtree sometimes , and some models will be more user friendly . Some more like small trailer tents so a bit bigger .

you will have to weigh up the different advantages . Some canvas tents don’t have enough ventilation for the tropics .

people sell swags up here hardly used for the same reasons .

even a mozzie screen , well ventilated dome swag can be too hot , if the canvas only zips down to waist level . Or the floor tub is too high obscuring the breeze .

good place here in the tropics to buy stuff for down south in colder climates while your on holiday in the north .

hardly used warm clothes and wool blankets too where there is little to no competition for them . Buy them in the opposite season and think ahead squirreling them away for later .

Last edited:

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
If you’re ever out bush and it starts raining for a couple weeks, having somewhere with a bit of room inside while you sit it out will be a luxury .

I think the rooftop tents look overpriced too . Though bargains can always be found if your patient , I see them on gumtree sometimes , and some models will be more user friendly . Some more like small trailer tents so a bit bigger .

you will have to weigh up the different advantages . Some canvas tents don’t have enough ventilation for the tropics .

people sell swags up here hardly used for the same reasons .

even a mozzie screen , well ventilated dome swag can be too hot , if the canvas only zips down to waist level . Or the floor tub is too high obscuring the breeze .

good place here in the tropics to buy stuff for down south in colder climates while your on holiday in the north .

hardly used warm clothes and wool blankets too where there is little to no competition for them . Buy them in the opposite season and think ahead squirreling them away for later .
I'd want that particular model darche tent. If not that I'd probably go the rv3, that would be if cost was the consideration. That particular model darche (in whatever size) seems to get the best all round reviews, and has heavier canvas (320gsm). They too have internal frames, which can get bent as you pointed out. For some reason you don't seem to hear about it - maybe the lower profile?

I really like the idea of the open roof :D. Where we used to live we had the luxury of being able to see the night sky from bed - it was awesome. I used to use a swag while on tour trips (I was the guide) in the kimberly ranges. I loved that too, especially on a particular plain in the bungle bungles; I used to go to bed with binoculars and a starchart. It's the only place I regularly saw the Magellanic clouds.

Normally I don't really understand swags though. I see many atop a 4wd and they are huge. If there are mozzies around and it's warm you put up with the mozzies or the heat.

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
This is probably as good a place as any to post this; it's something we always carry when we're on mtb holidays. It's a foot pump with the high pressure nozzle fitted. At home I have a small air compressor, but rather than hook up the hose and power, I usually just grab the foot pump. It's great for cleaning - blow dust out of stuff. Even cleaning the keyboard of this laptop, and the fans / vents etc. It's something I'd only take while vehicle based camping. Weight is insignificant and it can easily sit on top of whatever else you're carrying with no issues.

Tap out your air filter and give it a general blast from the inside out - it's strong enough to clean without damaging the element. Blasting around sparkplugs before undoing them. After riding the mtb I go over the bike with the blaster first, especially the suspension seals and brake calipers, gears, derailer etc. Then I might use a light brush too. A brush is also good. For smaller stuff something like a straw or pocket bellows.

Note: if you put the hose in the other hole it becomes a vacuum cleaner. A little brush attachment would make that feature really useful.

foot pump1.jpg

Kindlling

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Been doing a bit of a gear check , pulled out the compressor after this post and it needs replacing .
So a good reminder thanks !.

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I bought a roof top tent. It isn't the one I was after, but it was a surprisingly good deal. Hardly used, good reviews. The canvas (it's a poly / cotton mix) is close to the same weight too (300gsm, the darche panorama is 320gsm). This of course adds to the weight of it - 81kg, but it's a good reason to have extra weight. We saw it set up, and helped to pack it and take it off the dude's enclosed trailer. His trailer was about the same height as what we want, so his setup was good to see. The other bonus is that it came with an annex - even less used than the tent. All for $650. Picture below (not mine).

arb rooftop tent.jpg

I've also bought the fridge :D. It's a dometic CFF45 (45lt) with cover for $850. The model is being run out so they are going cheap - they were $1050 without the cover. These also get pretty good reviews.

Bluetti have a sale on right now, I'm going to make them an offer on their 2000w power station and one solar panel. They currently have a deal for the power station with 3 solar panels. The panel I want is 120w so would probably keep the power station good if just using fridge, laptop, led light etc. 3 panels is a lot to carry and a lot to set up - I want to keep things relatively simple. I'd like to charge my ebike too. I imagine places like Derby (where we are now) I could ask someone to charge it up at $10 a pop? I'm also considering top up charges with car running - I have an inverter already (it's ancient), 90w I think. So I can charge via 12v and 240v input at the same time for 30mins or so?

The biggest issue at this point is getting the trailer. Ferry costs to and from melbourne are expensive right now. I'll wait, maybe even see how much it is to ship the trailer over. We could take the van over and pick it up and have an mtb holiday too, around Jindabyne and Canberra? Just take a normal tent with us for that because the roof top won't fit in the van with bikes and dog etc.

It's all in flux but coming together.

I also like that the rooftop tent can be taken off the trailer fairly easily. I have a stand up paddle board which is long. I can transport that on the trailer and we can use a normal tent.

I should also mention because some folk here might be considering a rooftop tent. One issue with them that is rarely mentioned is wind. Because they are up high they are more exposed to wind. When we travel with this I will also carry a 3 man tent that I have - it is fairly small and uses flexible fiberglass rods that bend in the wind. It's also easier to keep it more sheltered, being much lower.

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Just bought a roll out awning. 2m x 2m from anaconda for $59 on sale - perhaps someone else here is interested? I reckon it will go well on the trailer opposite side to where the tent will be. The tent with annexe will be relatively closed in - great for cooking, getting dressed, having a bucket wash etc. The awning will be shelter to work on a bike, or sit and eat / have a beer / watch a movie? There is a 2m x 2.5m - this size seems to be what most people want. It is $109. I can't get it here but thought that there are positives and negatives for everything. For one thing the side of the trailer is flat, not concave like a vehicle - that buys us 10cm or so. Another thing is you need the room for whatever awning you have. Like a tent, it is easier to find somewhere to set up a small tent.

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
have been mulling over the portable power thing. After staying in Derby where there is free camping. We were in a rental that we've been using for the past 5 years or so. Folk in the camping area that is next to the house have been pinching electricity from this place apparently. It happened while we were there too - a bigarse winnebago. Very cheeky. We contacted the owner to see if he allowed this, and no he wasn't aware of it.

This got me to thinking that tolerance for travellers wanting electricity is going to wain quickly, especially as more forms of transport become battery operated.

I was thinking of a generator to charge the power station (power station is just a lithium ion battery pack with connectors, inverter etc in various sizes).

Then I thought of a hybrid vehicle - basically this is power station and a generator all in one. They generally have a huge lithium ion battery which would charge an e bike, fridge - everything. When the battery needs charging the small internal combustion engine starts up and charges. The beauty of this setup is that it is all integrated and built to work together, so should be fairly efficient, easy and trouble free.

The other thought on this is that we're currently in a transition era; pretty much still at the beginning of it. There aren't charging stations widely available yet. So having a hybrid seems like an ideal choice for say the next 10 years?

Ideally we'd really like a van. Ford have one that is available overseas. Most vans are huge - we don't need huge; our current 2lt econovan is big enough. Something that we can carry two mtb's and a staghound would be fine. It's a pity that suzuki does not import their apv anymore; one of those in hybrid form would be perfect and should be big enough to tow the trailer we have in mind (around 400kg total?)

I'm interested to hear anyone's thoughts on this re the hybrid vehicle idea and power supply for off grid camping. The ford transit is rumoured to be here in 2023. We can use our current van till then.

Kindlling

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Oh, I also bought these, one for each vehicle :). I will be able to access those taps that have the handles removed - just to fill up a couple of 20l plastic containers. They are a common edc item in the US.

Good thing to have walking the dog in cities to give them a drink , sports ovals or lots of places when traveling around where the taps are removed .

I keep a silcock key in the vehicle .

Kindlling

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
have been mulling over the portable power thing. After staying in Derby where there is free camping. We were in a rental that we've been using for the past 5 years or so. Folk in the camping area that is next to the house have been pinching electricity from this place apparently. It happened while we were there too - a bigarse winnebago. Very cheeky. We contacted the owner to see if he allowed this, and no he wasn't aware of it.

This got me to thinking that tolerance for travellers wanting electricity is going to wain quickly, especially as more forms of transport become battery operated.

I was thinking of a generator to charge the power station (power station is just a lithium ion battery pack with connectors, inverter etc in various sizes).

Then I thought of a hybrid vehicle - basically this is power station and a generator all in one. They generally have a huge lithium ion battery which would charge an e bike, fridge - everything. When the battery needs charging the small internal combustion engine starts up and charges. The beauty of this setup is that it is all integrated and built to work together, so should be fairly efficient, easy and trouble free.

The other thought on this is that we're currently in a transition era; pretty much still at the beginning of it. There aren't charging stations widely available yet. So having a hybrid seems like an ideal choice for say the next 10 years?

Ideally we'd really like a van. Ford have one that is available overseas. Most vans are huge - we don't need huge; our current 2lt econovan is big enough. Something that we can carry two mtb's and a staghound would be fine. It's a pity that suzuki does not import their apv anymore; one of those in hybrid form would be perfect and should be big enough to tow the trailer we have in mind (around 400kg total?)

I'm interested to hear anyone's thoughts on this re the hybrid vehicle idea and power supply for off grid camping. The ford transit is rumoured to be here in 2023. We can use our current van till then.

I think electric cars are for city and town folks . Does not interest me at all .
Cant plug it into a tree , the earliest tech gets outdated and will be replaced by something updated . I imagine the battery lifes will get much better soon though .

Imagine you work on a cattle station up north, drive 300 k’s to town to charge the landcruiser ute , then drive back , where you want to work fencing for a few months driving around with fence posts and rolls of wire And chasing cows etc.
Its not going to work , or if you ran out of electricity in the central australian desert ,No roadside assistance there .

Who knows could be useful one day , like the useless cashless payment system they talk about . Useless idea when People can barely get internet reception , more big ideas by city folks that are not practical .

It’s Ok as long as they don't try and drag everyone along against their will .

Last edited:

old4570

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Wasnt there a Aluminum fold out trailer made some time ago that was 4x4 capable and weighed like 500KG or something ..
Or was it only a concept ?

Yeah , not exactly cheap ...