BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for advice on cheap, good hammock

BjornJ

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Hi guys
On the bush camping meetup a couple of weekends ago I saw lots of the people there slept in hammocks. I've seen the Hennessy hammocks online before but never seen one until then.

gelandangan was kind enough to lend me one he had made himself, I had a bit of an afternoon snooze in it and really liked it.

Looking online at Hennessy hammocks and others like it, there's a whole bunch of models to choose from and they seem a little pricey.
Would be nice to have one to try sleeping in but do I have to spend hundreds of dollars on one?
Don't want to buy something that will be uncomfortable either, of course. Then the saving will not be worth it :)

Any advice on a good model (comfortable over light-weight) that hopefully doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

This one looks nice, a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe but costs $200 plus postage to Oz.

exr-dx-440w.jpg

Here's one on Amazon that claim to be really comfortable, kind of like a tent around the hammock of bug-netting,
http://www.amazon.com/Hammock-Bliss-Sky-Tent-Revolutionary/dp/B0054MQ11Q/ref=cm_lmf_tit_17
Capture.jpg

I've read several threads on here on insulation for the hammocks so guessing it can get pretty cold on the underside.
Guessing it'd make sense with a double bottomed one and using a mat or something.

Any tried and tested advice on models, if it is necessary to fork out for a brand name or if a cheap ebay one will do the trick, will be appreciated.

thanks
Bjorn

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
Cheap and good don't often go together when it comes to a hammock... I use a HH Exped Asym myself, however I started out with one of those net ones from a disposal store and worked up from there.
Those Thai and Brazilian ones you see in the outdoor stores and the like will work well and cost very little compared to the high end ones we tend to use here.
A basic rig would look like a Tarp/Hootchie, Hammock, Bug net, total cost around $50 if you shop around for parts.

Comfort is a subjective thing too, the best advice I will give, even for the cheaper ones, is to sleep diagonally across the hammock, that way you will lay flat rather than like a banana and wake up with less knee and back discomfort.

Hope it helps...

Doc

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Hi Bjorn
I would not recommend a cheap hammock as one cannot put a price on a good nights sleep in the bush. I have a Warbonnet Blackbird hammock which is a very good quality hammock. Have a look at my YT video on this hammock.
[video=youtube_share;X2zBnInM8B8]http://youtu.be/X2zBnInM8B8[/video]

gelandangan

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Hi Bjorn,

Glad you like hammocking as the rest of us :_lol:
Anyhow, for my main hammock I use a RASTA color hammock by Tenth Wonder from eBay and they only cost about $40 plus delivery when I bought it.
It is 2.9 m long and 1.6 m wide dual layer with bug net.
As you know I am quite a large person but I find that the hammock really comfortable. and economical to boot :p

The tarp cost me $45 + pp I think it is money well spent because it is 100% water proof and allow me a sitting place in the rain.

I added on the setups a pair of whoopie slings, extra carabiners and my home made elephant trunk strap adjuster to be able to adjust the setting easily.
I also made a couple pairs of snake skins for the hammock and the tarp.

BjornJ

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
thanks guys for the advice.

Gelandangan, the friction-fit adjustment ties you had on your hammock were brilliant, so much easier than having to re-tie knots. Will have to learn how to do that at some point. Not being very handy with sowing, I'm going to have to go with buying one though. I remember you said your hammock was 160 cm wide, that should hopefully make it nice and comfy.

Doc,thanks for the link to the video, that hammock looks really good as well. I read on another thread that Blake has one of the Warbonnet ones as well and like it. But do you sleep diagonally on the warbonnet hammock as well? Doesn't look like the tie-outs on the side are on the diagonal for squaring it out?

Here is another take on it, where aluminum spreader bars keep the hammock open so it doesn't squash the ends together:
http://www.jacksrbetter.com/BMBH.htm

DSC04870-layflat-weblg.jpg

thanks
Bjorn

Dusty Miller

Alexander Pearce
Archivist
Reaction score
I use a Tenth Wonder hammock also (hornet), provided it is correctly erected (levelled), it gives a relaxing nights sleep. Has a bug net and cost about $50, there are hex tarps they sell to go with, also very inexpensive. THe good thing a bout the tenth wonders is that they evolve over time, he constantly updates any "inadequacies" with changes to esign or material. The workmanship is excellent, done in Vietnam, but flawless. Materials also seem good.
Very light, but as with all camping gear, sort out the intricacies of setting up before you go out (and before it gets dark). Would definitely be interested in Gels tension adjustment mod.... thread?

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Bjorn,
regarding cheap hammocks, if you're after one with mozzie netting, I'd recommend http://mosquitohammock.com/junglehammock.html these. Tom Claytor is known for selling great stuff.
There's also DD hammocks http://www.ddhammocks.com/
Both of these have a double layer which allows you to put a sleepingmat in between the layers. Having a layer of nylon in between you and the mat allows it to wick the moisture that invariably builds up away from you.
If you can sew, I can get some instructions together for how to sew a hammock with a built in underquilt and mozzie netting, all from spotlight materials.
I use a warbonnet blackbird hammock (about 2 yrs old now) and a DIY gathered end hammock in winter.
One thing regarding comfort is, the longer the better. 2.8m is the minimum fabric length for me, 3m is much better. The longer the hammock, the more of a diagonal you can lie on.

gelandangan

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Warbonnet Blackbird is great hammock no doubt about it.
Unfortuantely with my budget, I can only afford the TW hammock :p
Nevermind :p

Bjorn, the hammock on your pic is called "Bridge Suspension" hammock.
They are great because they let you sleep wide without squeezed shoulder.
If you look around some place made a model called "Chrysalis" that I really want to get if I can afford it.
Here is a youtube vid of it
[video=youtube;9DaTc8kLa4I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DaTc8kLa4I[/video]
Its so flat in the base, it almost like sleeping in a tent, but suspended :risatonaD:

Ok Dusty about the adjustment stuff that Bjorn talk about,
I made some accessories for my hammocks,
such as
Whoopie Sling, to adjust the length of suspension rope without having to re tie the ends.
Fixed ridge line to ensure that you always have the same "hang angle" regardless of the length of the suspension.
I also made "elephant trunk" to adjust the length of the tree hugger.
If there are interests, I could maybe make a tutorial on these..

Last edited:

BjornJ

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
thanks, will read up on the Jungle Hammock, DD hammock and the Tenth Wonder ones.
The Jungle Hammock is $150 plus $40 for snakeskins so about the same as a hennessy it seems.

The hennessy with extra large rain tarp and longer webbing is sounding really nice.
Checking the tenth wonder hammocks now :)

thanks
Bjorn

Mountainwalker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Last week I ordered the DD travel hammock from the Bushcraft store in the UK. It cost around 80 Australian including postage. This is my first foray into hammocks so I hope it's reasonable quality etc. The reviews which I came across indicated that people were very happy with this hammock. I would be interested to hear the thoughts of anyone on this forum regarding the DD hammocks.

BjornJ

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
gelandangan;14559 If you look around some place made a model called "Chrysalis" that I really want to get if I can afford it. Here is a youtube vid of it [video=youtube;9DaTc8kLa4I said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DaTc8kLa4I[/video]
Its so flat in the base, it almost like sleeping in a tent, but suspended :risatonaD:

Ok Dusty about the adjustment stuff that Bjorn talk about,
I made some accessories for my hammocks,
such as
Whoopie Sling, to adjust the length of suspension rope without having to re tie the ends.
Fixed ridge line to ensure that you always have the same "hang angle" regardless of the length of the suspension.
I also made "elephant trunk" to adjust the length of the tree hugger.
If there are interests, I could maybe make a tutorial on these..

hi, these look really nice as well!! Look like you sleep really flat in this one, like you are saying. Not a cheap one though.

Would love a tutorial on the mods you did on the hammock, probably others than me who would like to know how to do the adjustable friction ties you make.

thanks
Bjorn

kobold

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
nothing like a hammock! :) i like both my grand trunk ul (usd 16) and warbonnet traveler (http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/ at $60). combined with a warbonnet bug net for $65 make a light and very comfy kit. you'll need a structural ridge line for the gt ul if you want to use it with a bug net - a simple masons line will do. if bugs (mozzies) are a permanent part of your camping experience, consider a warbonnet black bird w/ an integrated bug net, foot box, shelf, and choices of different sil and single or double layering. these are all a better bang for your buck than a hennessy (i own a scua with super shelter tho, relegated to my wife - my first hammock, but relatively heavy even after modding w/ whoopies), make your pick after testing the gear if possible.. if you can post your weight and height i could be more specific. most sleeping positions are doable in hammocks, depending on the model... lastly, there are many excellent hammock vendors in the us that will do custom jobs at very good prices, quality and customer support. worth shopping around and contacing them directly.
also, you can easily make a gathered end hammock if you have a sewing machine for the fraction of the price...

Last edited:

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
What is the advantage of hammocks over tents?

In regards to hiking I can't speak for tents as in 25 years of hiking and kayaking I have only used a tent on a few rare occasions. I have always used a tarp and ground sheet. I just got back from my first hammock walk and I am now a convert. They are so comfortable. I won't be going back!

BjornJ

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I am 188 cm and 80 kg.
Thanks
Bjorn

nothing like a hammock! :) i like both my grand trunk ul (usd 16) and warbonnet traveler (http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/ at $60). combined with a warbonnet bug net for $65 make a light and very comfy kit. you'll need a structural ridge line for the gt ul if you want to use it with a bug net - a simple masons line will do. if bugs (mozzies) are a permanent part of your camping experience, consider a warbonnet black bird w/ an integrated bug net, foot box, shelf, and choices of different sil and single or double layering. these are all a better bang for your buck than a hennessy (i own a scua with super shelter tho, relegated to my wife - my first hammock, but relatively heavy even after modding w/ whoopies), make your pick after testing the gear if possible.. if you can post your weight and height i could be more specific. most sleeping positions are doable in hammocks, depending on the model... lastly, there are many excellent hammock vendors in the us that will do custom jobs at very good prices, quality and customer support. worth shopping around and contacing them directly.
also, you can easily make a gathered end hammock if you have a sewing machine for the fraction of the price...

kobold

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
good q! from the top of my head: you are elevated. no wildlife can reach you (with a bug net), if it rains, you will stay dry (w/ a tarp), there are no pressure points like when you are going ground - comfort factor -> eg having a few inches of goose down around you while floating in mid air... also clean, dry gear (never touches the ground if you are careful), faster set up and tear down. no searching for clear and flat areas as w/ tents, no ground sheet, no digging ditches around the tent. one can hang over a creek. it decompresses your spine after a day of backpacking :) compatible with the 'leave no trace' philosophy. disadvantage: trees, rocks or architectural achievements are needed 3-6m apart.

kobold

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
then anything other than the grand trunk nano will do even the single layer ones imo. edit: i am 185/85. for the full universe of offerings browse hammockforums.net (hope i can get away with advertising another forum here). it's all things hammock and more. you can sleep on your sides or your back or somewhere in between and as templar wrote, diagonal is the key. also try to pitch the hammock so your feet are slightly higher than your head, so you don't slide down. i think i'm missing some points, but ask away :D

Last edited:

Doc

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Hi Bjorn

The Warbonnet is designed for diagonal sleeping as it has a separate footpocket on the right hand side. Based on you size (i.e. Tall!) you will easily fit in the Warbonnet.

Cheers
Doc