BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking For Marlin Spike Pocket Knifes

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay guy's I am on the hunt (or scrounge) for pocket knifes with a Marlin spike. If anyone can help me feel free to shoot me a message.

I am running these Bush Knots workshops and want to issue a knife to every participant. I have five suitable knifes so far ..

3 Shelham (Old Australia army),

1: Bund (German Navy)

1:Copy of a WW2 British Army jack knife mafe in Italy'.

Ideally I would like 5 or 6 more knifes like this but of course don't what to spend $50 per knife.

If anyone has a marlin spike knife or knifes to sell or trade I'm keen. Also open to suggestions for budget alternatives..

Attachments

• 20220217_174203.jpg
    20220217_174203.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 3

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
As an alternative you could use a paracord fid or just a marlinspike: Cam's cords used to sell marlinspikes, he does lots of different fids. He could probably let you know where he sourced the marlinspikes from, they had a split ring on them, so I added one to a Swiss Army knife.

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
As an alternative you could use a paracord fid or just a marlinspike: Cam's cords used to sell marlinspikes, he does lots of different fids. He could probably let you know where he sourced the marlinspikes from, they had a split ring on them, so I added one to a Swiss Army knife.
Thanks, I will keep it in mind as a back up plan. I looked online and paracord fids are pretty cheap.!

General concept is that each student basically would get iusse the same kit.

This would be Poncho/tarp, paracord ,tent pegs and knife. Paracord Fid could be better for some some youth groups.

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
If it is just paracord, or smaller, the corkscrew on a sak is awesome. Of course you don't want to buy saks for clients but I find mine very versatile especially when thinking out of the box. My favorite for outdoor edc is the handyman. It also comes with tiny tweezers and plastic toothpick. I've added a needle to mine and the tiny screwdriver that fits into the corkscrew. Also the reamer is great for drilling holes and sewing thick leather - the hole can be made much bigger by using the wood saw - turning it in the hole already started with the reamer. File and hack saw too. It's actually an awesome bushcrafting tool!

I've used sharpened sticks for larger rope - 1cm diameter sized dry eucalypt branches have worked well for me.

handyman.jpg

Last edited:

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
If it is just paracord, or smaller, the corkscrew on a sak is awesome. Of course you don't want to buy saks for clients but I find mine very versatile especially when thinking out of the box. My favorite for outdoor edc is the handyman. It also comes with tiny tweezers and plastic toothpick. I've added a needle to mine and the tiny screwdriver that fits into the corkscrew. Also the reamer is great for drilling holes and sewing thick leather - the hole can be made much bigger by using the wood saw - turning it in the hole already started with the reamer. File and hack saw too. It's actually an awesome bushcrafting tool!

I've used sharpened sticks for larger rope - 1cm diameter sized dry eucalypt branches have worked well for me.

View attachment 28994
Thanks for the suggestion just not were I am going. A Swiss Army knife is always going to be more bit of a more expensive option. Also not at well suited for rope work. I have a few SAK's and they are generally a more usefull outdoors knife.

The following stlye or Patterns of knifes have Marlin spikes.

Yachtsmans knife

Sailors knife

Riggers knife

British \Australian and Commonwealth Army "Clasp" or "Jack" knifes form just before WW1 to early 2000's. Several versions over years with most of the with most of them with the 3 same basic tools blade,spike and tin opener.

The difference between a yachtsmans knife and a sailor's knife is a sailors should have a locking spike apparently.

Most knifes with a Marlins Spike fall into one of these categories. The military knife's being the most common. You can get a beat up Shelham Australia Army Kinfe for $30 if you are lucky.

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Probably the one you have in the pic, $22.90 on amazon

Yes mate, that is the kinfe in the photo. Kind of a not bad knife for the price point ($20-$30). Bit of a misleading info online but seem to be come from China. I can mine from a military surplus shop in Finland. Lock on the spike is really weak..

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I have seen both brands on cheap on ebay but the postage has been a deal breaker. Marbles is now made in China as far as I know.
You might like this then; $24 and free delivery if you join up for membership (just for newsletter, no cost). Surprising because global gear is usually expensive. This even works out cheaper if you get 8 @ $18.00 and only $22.00 delivery (I just tried) = $144.00 ($21.00 each). I've had great experience with Knife Warehouse too, and they're australian.

Last edited:

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys! ..

I my get a few of those Marbles brand knifes off Globe Gear.

I did the first Bush Knot's Workshop the other day. I have a homeschool group doing the Knots workshop booked tomorrow.

I have to cut some paracord and make about 10 tent pegs today for that workshop. The learning outcome from this workshop was that about 7 is the maximum group size.

I could use two more knifes and one more poncho\tarp at least.

IMG_20220223_080830.jpg

Last edited:

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I my get a few of those Marbles brand knifes off Globe Gear.
I think the knife warehouse is the much better deal (cost wise), and an australian company. They're also great to do business with (personal experience). If you wanted more than 8 I'd talk to them via phone - they'd do you a good price.

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the knife warehouse is the much better deal (cost wise), and an australian company. They're also great to do business with (personal experience). If you wanted more than 8 I'd talk to them via phone - they'd do you a good price.

So now on my second Bush knots Workshop which was a Homeshool kids group.

I have ended up ordering a few more German Navy "Bund" knifes online from Varusteleka in Finland. Main reason for this is I needed some more tarp/pouches for the workshop as well and could combine the Shipping. Still on the hunt for this kind of equipment if anyone sees any good deals let me know.

https://www.varusteleka.com/en

Attachments

• 20220224_162810.jpg
    20220224_162810.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220224_140125.jpg
    20220224_140125.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 0

sami12

Ray Mears
Reaction score
i have a few german army ponchos from them if you want those. i think i got 4 of them. ended up not using them. long story :) not really i was drunk and ordered them a few years back.

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey mate, we have all made that mistake at 3am after a few cold one's. Just shooting you a message now to work out the detailsđź‘Ś

OutdoorAcademy

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I found another one after the two I sent you but I'll hang onto it for now mate. Out of curiosity, what knots other than an eye splice and a marlin spike hitch would you use a marlin spike for? I have a workshop for home school kids coming up week after next in Tamworth.

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I found another one after the two I sent you but I'll hang onto it for now mate. Out of curiosity, what knots other than an eye splice and a marlin spike hitch would you use a marlin spike for? I have a workshop for home school kids coming up week after next in Tamworth.

So the Marlin Spike is just generally just useful for un-doing knots and ropework in general.

I wanted every student have the responsibility of looking after there own set of gear they were iussed for the workshop This encourages certain level of responsibility and trust. Also encourages personal administration and organisation skills.