Lures for freshwater inland lakes and streams.

Dusty Miller

Alexander Pearce
Archivist
Reaction score
Just wondering which lures people have got good success with in inland areas (including the lakes that are stocked with bass and other things.).

I see a lot of varied lures in the local shops, but since they only have to catch fisherman to be successful, being in the shop is no indication of how well they actually work on fish

Cheers in advance.

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Like all lures people have their favourites and even colours of same type can be more successful .
Fly fishing is the way to go even in salt water estuary's

AussiePreppers

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
It is good to have an assortment. I don't like using big lures, mostly under 2 inches. I have found 20cm to 1m divers with some red on them give me the best luck. Try some spinners too, they are a standard for bass fishing (spinner jig (size 3), weighted jig head (1/8), and a wriggly soft plastic make up a jig). A lot of people recommend poppers but I have never had any success with them.

darren

Templar
Reaction score
Lucky Country, where the geckos are paid to l
I'm no fisherman but I have found Tassie devils, celtas, and the little Rapala rainbow trout to be good all-rounders, with tiny crazy crawlers good for bass on a stormy afternoon

Also try those bottle shop twiggy sticks as bait. Jut keep that one to yourself..

kiwibro

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Little walking stick lures like the Berkley scumdog in mutt colour work awesome on trout in the quiet spots of lakes and rivers. Too much flow and they don't swim right. I really like the Berkley 3b range because I've never had a bum one. They all swim as intended straight out of the box.

Walker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
We do a lot of trout and bass/perch fishing using lures (I don't have the patients for dry fly fishing and most of the streams we visit they'd end up snagged in the lower braches of trees anyway). The old celta are good for both - the trick is to match their colour with the current food source. The other VERY successful one I use for bass and perch (even flathead!) is a particular plastic one that looks like a small crayfish - they have a few beads inside so they rattle, and come in a variety of colours - the most successful by far is the bright orange one, followed by a muddy/green coloured one. All these lures have a single treble hook - always remove the middle (second) treble hook as we've found they usually put the fish off taking it. These lures are available in K-Mart, Big W, etc = relatively cheap.

Last edited:

Mickldo

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I have done a lot of bass fishing in impoundments and there is a huge variety of lures and techniques that work. The techniques that work in wild rivers and creeks don't seem to work as well in the dams as they tend to stay deep and not surface feed as much.

At my local lake (Lenthalls Dam), before they started stocking it with Barra too, I used to have a lot of success by trolling little RMG Polterlgiest +50 lures in gold around until I found the fish schooled up on the sounder. While finding the school I might pick up the odd solitary fish but when I found a school on the sounder I'd swap to soft plastics and I'd quite often end up with 40 or so fish for a session. The fish school up deep and the soft plastics would quite often be hit on the drop before they hit the bottom. It was getting to the stage that the only reason the other person in the boat may outfish you was if they could re-rig the soft plastics faster than you.

I used to stick to the RMG Polty for searching as it used to troll at the right depth, had a really nice action and didn't snag up as often as other shaped lures. I used to use a lot of different soft plastics but one of my favourites was Berkley Slider Grubs in chartreuse rigged Carolina style with a worm hook and a sliding ball sinker.

Now the dam has been stocked with Barra they have imposed HP restrictions on boats there so my old tinny wasn't allowed any more so I sold it and now I have my kayak to use out there. It takes a lot more effort to cover the same ground but I have a sounder fitted to the yak now so hopefully I'll be able to get back into it again soon. I'm planning a trip out there over the Xmas break.

Mickldo

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Oh yeah, BTW. I used to modify the RMG Polties by adding a bit super glue to the bib to reinforce it as I have had a few fail. I also used to replace the trebles with 3X strong ones to increase the strength and to also add a bit of weight to get the lure to be slightly less buoyant so it suspends in the hot zone during twitches a bit better and I also found that it helped with snag proofing the lure as it slowed down the pop back to the surface if it hit a log underwater. By slowing down, the lure would back away from the log instead of just popping up.