Mainstay Survival Pocket Sleeping Bag

Quinkan

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Gday you lot :) My sample turned up the other day, many thanks to Blake and Mainstay.

It comes in a not quite pocket sized pack unless you're wearing your bush pants. Bout the size of two pouches of tobacco, for my fellow unhealthy people.

I set up camp in the sunroom, on the carpet. Roughing it.

After some struggles getting it out and on the floor which wasn't helped by stray adhesive, I was immediately blinded. Righto, curtains down.

I got my boots off, stripped to my undies and an under armor longsleeve shirt. Now there's a mental picture for you.

After much comical wriggling I managed to get in. Well, mostly. I put a foot through the bottom and at 6 foot 4 and 115 kg, there was a bit of me sticking out the top.

It was 15 degrees when I tried it out. Toasty warm in 10 mins and sweating like a horse in 15. Very clammy. Like a toasted sanger with too much tomato.

I managed to rip the underside trying to roll on my side. You'd want a groundsheet spun from the hair of angels for this fella.

After half an hour I was soggy and the crinkling gave me the horrors. Knowing how flammable it is I was glad to not be near a fire!

Getting out wasn't easy due to moisture and I ripped halfway down the side. Bugger.

Overall probably handy in a car first aid kit or similar. Would work a treat on cold or shocking people, signalling, keep your lunch warm or a very temporary shade cover.

It shouldn't be marketed as a sleeping bag, but as an emergency cocoon or similar. And clearly marked single use.

For the space I'd prefer a few large garbage bags and a roll of string or tape, or two or three normal emergency blankets.

I'll eventually upcycle it as one of these http://www.rootsimple.com/2008/03/parvati-solar-cooker.html?m=1 or use it as reflective film for my cacti seedlings. Be a shame to just toss it.

As a first aid item I'll give it a 7/10. Especially for short people and kids. As a sleeping bag, a 2/10. Better than nothing but nothing doesn't make you feel like a giant goon bag either.

Few in the glovebox couldn't hurt but I'd rather sleep under a pile of grass.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
I think you've summed it up well.

Calling such things a sleeping bag really is a bit cheeky, its more of a single use, bag / blanket IMO.

I think comparing it to a space blanket is a more realistic comparison, rather than comparing it to a sleeping bag.

Really a compact emergency use item rather than a planned use item.