Making A Bottle Gourd Water Bottle.

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Amazing. When shaking wrap it in a leather strapping and hold base. Then shake carefully in a circular motion patiently taking your time. This may help reduce vibrations and prevent cracks.

I found myself interested in the Bota Canteen from Spain, also with an ancient past. I am not sure how well they keep water however. I first saw one in the 1985 movie, 'Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome' and was intrigued. They are handmade using leather and seem easy to carry.

Attachments

Last edited:

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Kieth,
You've inspired and reminded me with your latest video on water bottles.

Its been on my list of things to do for ages, but yesterday I ordered a few packets of gourd seeds !
Spring is the time to plant, and the boy is keen too, so he'll be in charge of planting, watering etc ….

I'll let you know how we progress

Le Loup

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Hi Kieth,
You've inspired and reminded me with your latest video on water bottles.

Its been on my list of things to do for ages, but yesterday I ordered a few packets of gourd seeds !
Spring is the time to plant, and the boy is keen too, so he'll be in charge of planting, watering etc ….

I'll let you know how we progress
Good one Aussie, I shall be planting my own this season too. Looking forward to seeing how you go with the growing & making.
Regards, Keith.

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Good one Aussie, I shall be planting my own this season too. Looking forward to seeing how you go with the growing & making.
Regards, Keith.

Keith if your water bottle leaks after making it, how to you expect to carry water to survive? Consider the bota bag, mate.

Le Loup

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Keith if your water bottle leaks after making it, how to you expect to carry water to survive? Consider the bota bag, mate.
My water bottle does not leak Edward, & I am an 18th century living historian. The bota bag is not authentic for my period persona.
Regards, Keith.

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
My water bottle does not leak Edward, & I am an 18th century living historian. The bota bag is not authentic for my period persona.
Regards, Keith.

Oh I see. I respect that. My apologies... I just thought if it cracked that easily, what if it hit a tree or something and you lost you're water. Water is a serious business in Australia, as you'd know. As far as I know though the bota bag has been used for centuries and still is in some parts of the world. Each to their own of course. I was just thinking of your safety. Cheers, Edward.

lever

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Le Loup, what type of gourd is that, or do you recommend? You mentioned in the first vid that it went to America via Africa. From where?

Le Loup

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Oh I see. I respect that. My apologies... I just thought if it cracked that easily, what if it hit a tree or something and you lost you're water. Water is a serious business in Australia, as you'd know. As far as I know though the bota bag has been used for centuries and still is in some parts of the world. Each to their own of course. I was just thinking of your safety. Cheers, Edward.
Well you just have to take care Edward. I did take a fall years ago in a Sheoak forest, & fell on my tinned iron canteen & dented it. That fall would certainly have broken my gourd water water bottle Edward. There are stronger period water bottles, but they are also heavy. Tinned iron is good but does not fit my persona. Half the fun is experiencing as closely as possible how these people lived in any particular period. I promise I shall try very hard not to fall & break my water bottle, or any body parts :)
With respect & regards, Keith.