BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Making a new bushcraft camp.

Markie D

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I starting building a new camp site in the Forrest today.

A little bit of background,
I have been exploring a new forest lately. It is only 30 mins from home. I have found a large dam / small lake. So after a few weeks of bush walking and exploring around this forest i decided the lake was a nice spot for a camp site.
I plan on making the whole camp out of natural materials. I am even making my own cordage. So today I set up a small falt surface for making my cordage. And carved a wacking stick. To break up the fibres and i made up a couple meters of cordage, and managed to complete a small heat reflecting wall for my fire.

I will keep you posted with progress.

Attachments

• IMG_20200715_171425.jpg
    IMG_20200715_171425.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20200715_171327.jpg
    IMG_20200715_171327.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20200715_171434.jpg
    IMG_20200715_171434.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Markie D

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
A bit of an update... It's been a bit hard to get out to the bush with the virus restriction in place.. But I have managed to add a little bit to the camp.. It's starting to feel like a camp site.

Attachments

• IMG_20200724_170133.jpg
    IMG_20200724_170133.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20200729_170334.jpg
    IMG_20200729_170334.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 29

Boogers

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Looks like a nice spot, not too overgrown. Pretty clever using the three trees as supports, do you have any plans for the spot?

Markie D

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Looks like a nice spot, not too overgrown. Pretty clever using the three trees as supports, do you have any plans for the spot?
at the moment i just want to get three walls up, so i can throw my tarp over them and have a little place to stay dry and out of the wind
I think i will just keep it as a bushcraft camp, it is nice and close to home, and it has a lot of fallen timber around to practice my skills.
I am trying to teach my two sons the basics atm, making fire, knots, and basic knife skills. I am also trying to teach them how to shoot a bow, so i have set up a target at the camp.
Plus there is a small lake nearby, so they can practice their fishing, and maybe try to get some yabbies. So i have sort of designed with the kids in mind.

Last edited:

Big Red

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
This looks great, from your first post I got a mental picture of ‘Walden’, sounds like a perfect place to escape to and forget world events for a few hours!

at the moment i just want to get three walls up, so i can throw my tarp over them and have a little place to stay dry and out of the wind
I think i will just keep it as a bushcraft camp, it is nice and close to home, and it has a lot of fallen timber around to practice my skills.
I am trying to teach my two sons the basics atm, making fire, knots, and basic knife skills. I am also trying to teach them how to shoot a bow, so i have set up a target at the camp.
Plus there is a small lake nearby, so they can practice their fishing, and maybe try to get some yabbies. So i have sort of designed with the kids in mind.

MuntedAussie

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I starting building a new camp site in the Forrest today.

A little bit of background,
I have been exploring a new forest lately. It is only 30 mins from home. I have found a large dam / small lake. So after a few weeks of bush walking and exploring around this forest i decided the lake was a nice spot for a camp site.
I plan on making the whole camp out of natural materials. I am even making my own cordage. So today I set up a small falt surface for making my cordage. And carved a wacking stick. To break up the fibres and i made up a couple meters of cordage, and managed to complete a small heat reflecting wall for my fire.

I will keep you posted with progress.

Do you happen to be from near Ballarat at all? I found a structure in the bush recently that looks exactly like this, compairing it to the image I took at the time

Attachments

• 20201130_084400.jpg
    20201130_084400.jpg
    384.7 KB · Views: 11