Making a new bushcraft camp.

Markie D

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I starting building a new camp site in the Forrest today.

A little bit of background,
I have been exploring a new forest lately. It is only 30 mins from home. I have found a large dam / small lake. So after a few weeks of bush walking and exploring around this forest i decided the lake was a nice spot for a camp site.
I plan on making the whole camp out of natural materials. I am even making my own cordage. So today I set up a small falt surface for making my cordage. And carved a wacking stick. To break up the fibres and i made up a couple meters of cordage, and managed to complete a small heat reflecting wall for my fire.

I will keep you posted with progress.

Attachments

Last edited:

Boogers

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Looks like a nice spot, not too overgrown. Pretty clever using the three trees as supports, do you have any plans for the spot?

Markie D

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Looks like a nice spot, not too overgrown. Pretty clever using the three trees as supports, do you have any plans for the spot?
at the moment i just want to get three walls up, so i can throw my tarp over them and have a little place to stay dry and out of the wind
I think i will just keep it as a bushcraft camp, it is nice and close to home, and it has a lot of fallen timber around to practice my skills.
I am trying to teach my two sons the basics atm, making fire, knots, and basic knife skills. I am also trying to teach them how to shoot a bow, so i have set up a target at the camp.
Plus there is a small lake nearby, so they can practice their fishing, and maybe try to get some yabbies. So i have sort of designed with the kids in mind.

Last edited:

Big Red

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
This looks great, from your first post I got a mental picture of ‘Walden’, sounds like a perfect place to escape to and forget world events for a few hours!

at the moment i just want to get three walls up, so i can throw my tarp over them and have a little place to stay dry and out of the wind
I think i will just keep it as a bushcraft camp, it is nice and close to home, and it has a lot of fallen timber around to practice my skills.
I am trying to teach my two sons the basics atm, making fire, knots, and basic knife skills. I am also trying to teach them how to shoot a bow, so i have set up a target at the camp.
Plus there is a small lake nearby, so they can practice their fishing, and maybe try to get some yabbies. So i have sort of designed with the kids in mind.

MuntedAussie

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I starting building a new camp site in the Forrest today.

A little bit of background,
I have been exploring a new forest lately. It is only 30 mins from home. I have found a large dam / small lake. So after a few weeks of bush walking and exploring around this forest i decided the lake was a nice spot for a camp site.
I plan on making the whole camp out of natural materials. I am even making my own cordage. So today I set up a small falt surface for making my cordage. And carved a wacking stick. To break up the fibres and i made up a couple meters of cordage, and managed to complete a small heat reflecting wall for my fire.

I will keep you posted with progress.
Do you happen to be from near Ballarat at all? I found a structure in the bush recently that looks exactly like this, compairing it to the image I took at the time

Attachments