BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Making Coad - Shoemaker's Wax

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought this may interest some of the traditionalists here.

http://aands.org/raisedheels/Techniques/coad.php

This article describes how to go about making Coad (shoemaker's wax). Follow the links to get more into the processes and uses.
All the materials mentioned should be available in Australia.

Coad was used to coat the threads used to stitch footwear. This made the thread easier to sew and protected it from moisture. It also acted as an adhesive to lock the thread in palce.

Shoemaker's wax, or coad. This stuff can get very sticky, and is intended to act as a "glue" to bind stitches tight. The wax coats the threads of the waxed end (as described in the tutorial above), and when the two ends of the cord are pulled past each other through the awl hole, friction softens the wax. When the stitch is pulled tight, the wax cools, leaving a very strong bond hidden within the shoe.

Anyone wanting to use thread for leatherwork, or canvas, could use this process.

Perhaps even as a general purpose treatment for other cordage too ?

There is good information about making shoes on this site - if you are interested

(No affiliation)

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I like to try it but bit hard to get that much pine pitch where I am...Normal leather-craft thread is just coated with beeswax.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
I like to try it but bit hard to get that much pine pitch where I am...Normal leather-craft thread is just coated with beeswax.

I thought this would peak your interest !

Next time in near a pine forest, I'll collect a bit for you .