Mealspec flameless food heater

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
This is my review of the mealspec flameless food heater that was sent to me from survival storehouse so beofre you see the film here are some specs.

• Activation time from 4 seconds
  • average temp 90'c
  • peak temp 100'c
  • no failure report
  • fold flat
  • only 60g
  • measures 20cmx12cm folded
Cons are
  • single use only
  • cooks for only 12 mins
  • lot of waste after use
so here is the film
enjoy.

[video=youtube;HPwUyRUCiyo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPwUyRUCiyo[/video]

This is NOT a paid review.

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I think you need a cat on your lap for the intro! I think these would be good for a backup meal but otherwise quite limited, I imagine if you wanted to use it to boil water it would not be very effective. I think I would be more likely to carry a small trangia burner or something similiar in the case that I cant have a fire.

BjornJ

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Good review.

Looks like a handy prop for when grabbing a quick lunch break somewhere you can't have a fire or in bad weather.
Sit down, pour in some water and have a bite to eat 12 mins later.

thanks
Bjorn

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I think you need a cat on your lap for the intro! I think these would be good for a backup meal but otherwise quite limited, I imagine if you wanted to use it to boil water it would not be very effective. I think I would be more likely to carry a small trangia burner or something similiar in the case that I cant have a fire.
You can't really boil water with as you would need to put the water in a freezer bag first as the water that activates the heater is now chemically contaminated. But if you had say a 600ml steel bottle it would fit in and you could heat up enough for a brew.

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Yes your are right Swampy. I did mean to say put it in another container but you are still not able to boil water, but as you say if you wanted a hot drink it would be ok.