BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More Of My 18th Century Equipment.

Le Loup

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I must point out to those who like to travel as light as possible, that this equipment is not light compared to modern equipment. But, it is sustainable. I have had to make some compromise between two principles: minimum weight & maximum self-reliance. This equipment will keep me alive & in relative comfort for many years in a wilderness situation.
Keith.
18thc. Medical Kit Update 003.jpg
This is my very basic medical kit. If my family had to leave our retreat & move further into the wilderness, then someone else would be carrying a more extensive medical kit.

2012 Equipment 010.jpg
Gun tools & pouch. These are carried in my shot pouch.

2012 Equipment 017.jpg
More gun tools & spare lock parts for my flintlock fusil. These are carried in the bottom of my knapsack.

Cartridge Box 006.jpg
Cartridge Box 004.jpg
This is my cartridge box. Normally I don't carry this, I made it for militia use only. It enables me to load much faster.

Gunpowder Bag.jpg
This is one of three leather gunpowder bags. When empty they are used to carry/store spare tinder.

Equipment B018.jpg
A piece of hard soap & my broken ivory comb. Normally & wash my hands with wood ash, but the soap is good for a all over body wash.

Hemp Rope 001.jpg
A length of hemp rope which has many uses.

Housewife B1.jpg
Housewife B8.jpg
Housewife 2 002.jpg
My "Housewife" sewing kit.

Metal file, wetstone  004.jpg
Metal file & whet stone for sharpening blades.

New Kettle & Powder Measure 073.jpg
My copper kettle. Small & relatively light compared to other Trade kettles.

Rum Bottle 2.jpg
My rum bottle.

Water Flasks 003.JPG1.jpg
Water Flasks 004.JPG2.JPG6.jpg
My two leather covered saddle flasks for carrying water.

Tin Cup 001.jpg
My tinned iron cup.

Snares. Traps & Trapping 2 011.jpg
Snares. Traps & Trapping 2 007.jpg
Snare ropes & brass wire snares.

SPOON 3.jpg
Wood spoon.

Water purification cloth bags 003.jpg
Water filter bags.

I am unable to post anymore images apparently, but the only one missing is my awl for making leather repairs & making new moccasins.
Keith.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
What is the instrument with the ornate handle above the artery forceps in the medical kit picture?
What do you keep in the bottles?

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks Keith. It looks like the things I carry are not vastly different after all, I often look towards things that will be durable as opposed to light in weight. A lot of the gear I have been working on over the years is things that can perform multiple functions in order to reduce the amount I need to carry. Probably the best example (which I note you carry as well) is a water filter or Millbank bag. Boiling water is the best means of purifying water in my mind as chemical treatments will run out eventually and I don't really like ingesting such things unnecessarily.

Last edited:

Le Loup

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Hi Thrud. This is just another type of tweezers. Salt in one bottle, the next one I use as an eye wash glass. Very debilitating to get something in your eye whilst out bush! The other one contains Betadine antiseptic.
Keith.

Le Loup

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Totally agree MDU, my housewife sewing kit can be used for removing splinters & sewing wounds if necessary. The kettle is mainly used for catching rainwater & for purifying water before pouring into my water bottles. The flintlock fusil can also be used to make fire without the use of gunpowder. The tomahawk has many uses, scraping animal skins, hammering in shelter & trap stakes, making shelters, self-defense, hunting if you know how to throw accurately, as an aid in butchering game. The angling lines & hooks can be used for securing ducks as well as fish. My oilcloth is shelter & rain cape.
Keith.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the great insight into your equipment. It looks very much like a museum display, but I know you use it !

theslothman

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I love all this gear mate. Nothing beats the feel of authentic kit in your hand. It carries its own soul. As easy, light and convenient as modern gear is, nothing feels quite as good as the old stuff. Especially if you've made or repaired and maintained it yourself.