More tutorials

payney

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I'd love for some of the more experienced navigators among us to share their knowledge possibly some people with military
backgrounds. So if you have knowledge to share your time would be appreciated cheers.

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
Military Nav is the same as civilian nav, just we use the more accurate mils system (6400 mils = a circle) rather than Degrees...

If you want to study the Military method, start here: http://www.uvm.edu/~goldbar/FM3_25.26.pdf it is the US Army manual, but it teaches the same as you would get in any ADF nav class.

Last edited:

payney

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I don't know a lot about civilian nav either Templar and thought that guys like yourself would be good to learn from
as you have lots of practical experience seen as it has been drilled into you. My dad said he would teach me but "I forgot most
of it" haha his basic training was a long time ago.

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
Last edited:

payney

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Thanks Karl I did read Corins tutorial and it was very helpful. What you have sent me will keep me going for ages to.

Walker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Those resources are very good Templar - I particulalry like the Yank one because it put emphasis on the three navigational requirements: map reading, dead reckoning and terrain association. Knowing the military variant is always helpful, particularly if, as you mentioned, need to be more accurate (difficult country) or have access to old mil maps.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
There is lots of info and tutorials about navigation, and they certainly teach the subject, but navigation is a skill and as such must be practiced.

I've tried to get people to take a bearing of an object, or walk a course, but it always seems a bit "fake" and you never really know if you have done it right, especially if you are doing it by yourself - too much "cheating" and "interpretation" - of perhaps that was just me ?

I'd encourage you to get out. IMO that's the beauty of a Rogain - you get to plot 20 or 30 courses in a day and you know if you get each one right because if you make a mistake, you will miss the checkpoint !

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Navigation is best taught in the field. I can do more tutorials, on any specific subject or aspect you want to know more about. Just ask the question. I spent the day today teaching navigation, and those guys learnt more in a fee hours than weeks of theory can teach. As Aussie said, rogaining or orienteering is a good shot, as is getting involved with your local bushwalking/scouts/volunteer fire service/other outdoor organization.

Absolutely nothing like getting out and doing it though!