BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This forum is currently closed to new user registrations. You are welcome to browse the forum as a guest and existing users may still login with their existing credential's to post on the forum.

• As of the 01/01/2023 the Bushcraft Oz Forum is now closed and has been placed in Archive mode. New Posts and Post Replies have been disabled but existing content can still be viewed. For more information please see the following post for more infomation. It is our goal to retain the wondeful contributions to the Bushcraft community over the years and a more appropriate way of displaying this is being considered for the future so the information is not lost. A perminent web archive of the forum state as of 30 Jan 2022 has been captured and can be viewed herea>.

Thank you all for a wonderful adventure and for your contributions over the years!

Mtech Hunter - ( Preview ) Not really a review !

old4570

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Mtech Hunter.jpg

Ok , I kept seeing this knife on Feebay and I just had to buy it . ( No choice )

A) The knife is small .. Really small , and feels small ..
B) My slightly larger than medium hands feel crowded ( claustrophobic ) clutching the grip .
C) This might almost be a child sized knife , or at the very least a knife for small hands . Yes , I have already modified mine cos my hand felt so crowded gripping the knife .
D) Factory edge was beyond FUBAR , it was non existent !
E) I had to go straight to a regrind .. Around 18 degrees . ( Give or take ) And it was a some what rubbish factory grind / bevel .
F) Grips are Plastic , and will need to be modified to match my blade mods to the grip to make my index finger less crowded . Or just do a para chord wrap !

Knife is 8 inches , or around 203mm . the plastic grips are around 85mm and the small knife does have some heft to it - around 220 grams .
It's hot and humid and I just love to hate on - hot & humid .
Tomorrow is a cooler ( wet ) day . So some rope slicing some time in the future ( not to distant )

Kindlling

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I have an mtech that I made a wooden handle and sheath one rainy day in the shed .conduit sheath , poly pipe slip over retainer holds as good as anything on the market .
had a silly tactical handle before .
440c steel . Handy size knife , a little bigger than yours 9 1/4 “ length , 4 1/2 inch blade.
Seem to remember taking black coating off the steel . Its a little ripper . Always seems better when you have a bit of yourself into the making of your gear . CD1D9AF8-4900-4483-AB43-FD63DFC01264.png

Last edited:

old4570

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I was impressed by a Mtech Folder , very nice steel for the money .
So will see how this one goes .