BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mtech Hunter - ( Preview ) Not really a review !

old4570

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Mtech Hunter.jpg

Ok , I kept seeing this knife on Feebay and I just had to buy it . ( No choice )

A) The knife is small .. Really small , and feels small ..
B) My slightly larger than medium hands feel crowded ( claustrophobic ) clutching the grip .
C) This might almost be a child sized knife , or at the very least a knife for small hands . Yes , I have already modified mine cos my hand felt so crowded gripping the knife .
D) Factory edge was beyond FUBAR , it was non existent !
E) I had to go straight to a regrind .. Around 18 degrees . ( Give or take ) And it was a some what rubbish factory grind / bevel .
F) Grips are Plastic , and will need to be modified to match my blade mods to the grip to make my index finger less crowded . Or just do a para chord wrap !

Knife is 8 inches , or around 203mm . the plastic grips are around 85mm and the small knife does have some heft to it - around 220 grams .
It's hot and humid and I just love to hate on - hot & humid .
Tomorrow is a cooler ( wet ) day . So some rope slicing some time in the future ( not to distant )

Kindlling

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I have an mtech that I made a wooden handle and sheath one rainy day in the shed .conduit sheath , poly pipe slip over retainer holds as good as anything on the market .
had a silly tactical handle before .
440c steel . Handy size knife , a little bigger than yours 9 1/4 “ length , 4 1/2 inch blade.
Seem to remember taking black coating off the steel . Its a little ripper . Always seems better when you have a bit of yourself into the making of your gear . CD1D9AF8-4900-4483-AB43-FD63DFC01264.png

Last edited:

old4570

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I was impressed by a Mtech Folder , very nice steel for the money .
So will see how this one goes .