BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This forum is currently closed to new user registrations. You are welcome to browse the forum as a guest and existing users may still login with their existing credential's to post on the forum.

my current striker collection

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
my three snake strikers, two are mine and one going to a friend (Jason) I have to say I really like forging these and am going to get a few more round files to make more.

RWPoboq.jpg

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
my three snake strikers, two are mine and one going to a friend (Jason) I have to say I really like forging these and am going to get a few more round files to make more.

RWPoboq.jpg
I think you could leave one of those on the track and give someone a scare :eek:

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I got my hands on a Wiltshire round file and two more square files so I'll be forging up some more of these, the round is for me, and one square is going to my youngest son.

I am finding it hard to get round and square files for a reasonable price.

Chigger

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Those snake strikers are really cool. As for prices on new files I have not bought a file for some time. They tend to last a long time in my usage as don't do much metal work.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I only buy old used files, no reason to pay new prices when I am forging them anyway, plus the newer files tend to be not what I am looking for anyway, the older files are usually better steel and thoroughly hardened rather than case harden like new files are.

Chigger

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Amazing array of really nice strikers, quite evident there is a pretty significant market world wide with interest in making fires by traditional means.

All of those makers of strikers and other goods must be making sufficient income for them to keep the supply up.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I have to admit I am continually amazed by the variety of styles and shapes used by the different peoples of the world for strikers, there are literally thousands of different designs and variations.

I am also glad there are a few of us still interested in the traditional ways of doing bushcraft, keeping these traditions alive is important work and it would be a shame if they were allowed to fade into history.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
thanks mate, the taipan turned out really nice I am starting to get the pattern down and it feels really good in hand.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
highly anticipated, custom dragon striker by Andrew Kirkham

came with a handcrafted prybar and a handful of English flints

nm9QoY8.jpg