BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

my current striker collection

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
three more strikers finished today at the forge, really starting to stretch myself with my forging

otXyRYL.jpg

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
fixed a broken striker that I bought recently, turned out really nicely
xFPbRer.jpg

and after the fix, tine reshaped, striker re-quenched and sparks really well.
IbQGDGT.jpg

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
finished off a 5 striker order, adding in some ember tongs as a gift and a packet of nitrated cattail fluff.

large colonial pattern, Wiltshire Australia file, my repeatability is getting better as they are pretty close to being the same.
pZOkrRN.jpg

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
this is for a GAW for a fellow youtube, a large colonial from a Nicholson USA file and a set of ember tongs will be adding in some Aussie flint as well.
nEcn3Hf.jpg

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
That dark Norfolk flint is excellent stuff.
while I love all flint and have a preference for our Aussie flint I will admit Norfolk flint is the best flint in the world.
It has been tested as well as far as hardness goes and it consistently scores 8 Mohs and is the hardest flint in the world. All other flint scores between 7-8 Moh's. Just think about this though, in Norfolk, they almost treat it like a nuisance and have so much flint they build with it and many in Norfolk really don't appreciate it as they should.

Chigger

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I see char clolth and two pieces of grey flint. What are the yellow stones, a chert of some sort ? The striker looks really good and well made.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
yes mate, it's all Florida chert, even the grey is classified as chert AFAIK as it is formed in limestone layers rather than chalk layers like flint does.

My mate is a talented smith and makes a fine striker. It sparks well.