My first ever review! Pathfinder Knife PLSK1

Bunyipbait

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
IMG_0486.jpgIMG_0487.jpg
Hi guys,
So this is my first ever review, I'm pretty average on the skills as you will see by the pics but it was fun to do. The knife is my brother Deccos so cheers for the loner mate! I tried to use the Pathfinder knife daily for everything I'd need a knife for, I carried it on me as much as I could either on my belt or in my pack. The knife stats can be found here, http://www.thepathfinderstore.com/plsk1-pathfinder-1-knife/, I found it to be hefty but not to heavy. I wear large-xlarge gloves and felt the handle filled my hand nicely, and it was comfortable in a number of different holds.
So the first thing I did was use the knife to make a one log fire, this included battening, splitting and carving feather sticks. Then I used the knife to get a spark from a fire steel and to start the fire.
IMG_0302.jpgIMG_0299.jpgIMG_0308.jpgIMG_0312.jpgIMG_0313.jpgIMG_0319.jpg
stay tuned guys more to come over the next few days!

pap11y

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice one. Looks like a capable knife that will bring you lots of joy..

Bunyipbait

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
So continuing the review, I found the sabre edge on the knife very useful in making feathersticks. The angle is much nicer than say a convex edge and feels a lot more controlled. When I was splitting the wood I used a baton to split it down, it was aged jarrah so the wood was very knotty and pretty tough! The edge didnt suffer much at all and after making the fire it was still able to cut up an orange to eat with no difficulty.

The next task I used the knife for was to whittle a couple of holes in a piece of bone I had found to make a toggle. This involved placing the bone down on a flat surface and using the tip of the blade to bore a hole. I put a fair bit of pressure on the tip but the knife handled it fine.
IMG_0345.jpgIMG_0349.jpgIMG_0346.jpgIMG_0350.jpg
After making two holes on opposite sides a little bit off centre from each other I threaded the cord from the bag, and the toggle was born :)
IMG_0357.jpgIMG_0364.jpgIMG_0365.jpg
The tip didnt break :) It actually felt like it could take a fair amount of pressure because it does have a thick spine at 1/4 inch and the sabre grind still leaves a fair amount of metal at the tip.
View attachment 13027
Another test on the tip was using it to open cocoanuts. It worked fine as well with no damage done to the tip.
IMG_0329.jpgIMG_0392.jpg
Cheers! Ooorroo

Last edited:

Nitris

Russell Coight
Reaction score
wicked.... i have been eyeing these off for a while... and finally decided to get one and they are out of stock.. lol my luck.. now its the waiting game :) cheers for the review

bubba5603

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Too all, I am back! For Nitris I have some bad news as I was just checking with the Pathfinder store and it would appear that the price has risen to $300US.

As for the review I hope that you don't mind Bunyipbait but I have to add a couple things. I feel somewhat qualified as I have owned my PLSK1 for a couple of years now and although I used it as my primary blade for an extended period of time since I got my Bark River...

Anyways, to clarify (correct) the first thing, unless you have modified the blade it is not a "Sabre" grind but a "Scandi". The difference is that the Scandi is a totally flat beveled cutting edge whereas the Sabre is a Scandi that has been convexed (for example the BHK "Woodsman Pro").

Second, although I like your leather sheath (a lot actually, good job!) the PLSK1 comes with a leather/kydex hybrid sheath, which in my mind is one of the better functional sheaths out there - not very pretty but works great, especially when you tighten up the retaining slide.

Finally, loved the picks of the feather sticks! Nice job. Maybe get the brother to think about Christmas...

Bunyipbait

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
cheers bubba..feel free to point out anything I missed mate! My bro got the knife when they first came out years ago..when they were much cheaper, and thats the sheath it came with back then. I'm still using it and carrying it everyday that makes about 2 months so far. Really liking it as an all rounder, still have to get out and try it on some game processing. But I did manage to knock out a very quick spoon.
IMG_0468.jpgIMG_0467.jpgIMG_0470.jpgIMG_0471.jpgIMG_0457.jpg
oorroo

elof_alv

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Anyways, to clarify (correct) the first thing, unless you have modified the blade it is not a "Sabre" grind but a "Scandi". The difference is that the Scandi is a totally flat beveled cutting edge whereas the Sabre is a Scandi that has been convexed (for example the BHK "Woodsman Pro").
Sabre grind is when the blade has a flat part (the full thickness of knife), primary grind (be it flat, convex or hollow) and the microbevel (secondary grind) which is basically the sharp cutting edge.

Scandi has the flat part and only one bevel (well two, on both sides of the blade), traditionally flat, however in recent years convex bevel has been introduced (not sure who coined it scandivex). What defines scandi grind is the lack of secondary bevel.

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the review mate. Looks like a top blade that one. I'm sure that will be in the family for a long time.

Can someone comment on the drop point design for bushcraft? I assume it is better for preparing game, skinning and hunting. Do you loose grip power when working with wood? Very nice knife.

Moved the thread to member reviews. Cheers for the post Bunyip

Bunyipbait

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Finally got out and did some hunting with a mate, who got a bunny with his sling shot, his first ever! I lent him the pathfinder to process the rabbit and taught my mate how to skin the rabbit. I'll post a few pics and try give a run down on what I thought from watching him work. What grip power do you mean Blake? When I was bearing down drilling I felt in control and safe the whole time, also slicing cuts and shaving I never felt I lost grip control at all.

So far all things I've used the pathfinder for I havent felt it struggled at all. Haven't had hot spots or blisters either, the only thing I would love is the thumb scallops like what is on the proposed BushcraftOz knife!
Next up more game prep and thinking about making some traps, and Mors try stick. Anything you guys would like to see?
Cheers for reading
Oorroo