BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My minimal sleeping setup

pap11y

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
So this is my new sleeping setup I want to test which is the most minimal in weight..

It should be noted this is minimal for me given how much discomfort I choose to endure but ensure I get a good nights sleep..

Note: I actually prefer my larger sleeping pad (I roll off the small one). This one fits perfectly in the bivy so the bivy makes this mattress a better option....

Should be suitable for all seasons (though bag would be overkill for summer..).

- Camo bivy from U.S.M.C. modular bag 992g
- sea to summit aeros pillow 79 g
- klymit static v2 463g
- Tier gear Quendra 180 592g

So thats a total weight of 2.126kg

I'm looking forward to testing it soon.. Thoughts?

rAjkNB.jpg

2tAxDY.jpg

Last edited:

pap11y

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
My normal setup is now (with the addition of my new bag)

- marmot tungsten 1p 1700g
- klymit static vluxe xl 750g
- aeros premium deluxe 195g
- Tier gear Quendra 180 592g

Same same but larger pillow and mattress..

Total 3.327kg

But that's guaranteed comfort and safety from the elements... To be honest, I'd rather the extra weight for the best nights sleep but will be great to test out how the minimalist setup is..

Last edited:

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice setup Pap. I tried that pillow out in the store and it was great. Much better than the other blow up ones.
Let us know what you think of the setup after a night in it.

pap11y

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice setup Pap. I tried that pillow out in the store and it was great. Much better than the other blow up ones.
Let us know what you think of the setup after a night in it.

I use that pillow every day on the train.. They are amazing...

The new technology in inflatable pillows and mattresses has come a long way. I have used my mattresses many times and they are very comfortable..

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Be interested to see how it goes. I used a setup like this when I did the Kokoda Track years ago, combined with a poncho/hootchie. Worked very well, despite the concerns of our guides. Should be pretty comfortable.
If you MUST ground dwell, that's the way to go.
Cheers
Bloffy

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Be interested to see how it goes. I used a setup like this when I did the Kokoda Track years ago, combined with a poncho/hootchie. Worked very well, despite the concerns of our guides. Should be pretty comfortable.
If you MUST ground dwell, that's the way to go.
Cheers
Bloffy

Kool trek Boffy - any problems with creepy crawlies ? Did you have a mozzie net ?

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
I had no probs with the insects not the weather. Combined with a hootchie/poncho, it was a good combination. My cuuent bivvy has a bug net and a loop so you can get it up off your face. It's a good bit of kit.
Cheers
Bloffy

cityboy

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I run the exact setup... except I use a blackwolf micro bag and I love it...
I've not had any issues with bugs I just flip the top over and leave a opening for air to come in..
I find the bivy does a great job of keeping the wind out and keeping warm air in...
just don't fart inside..

TomFR

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Nice choices, I love my klymit static v2. Seriously one of the most comfortable pads out there.

Zoob

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I have same Bivvy bag with Fairydown sleeping bag totaling 2 kg. Ideal for backpacking, used it for years and love it.
I dig a hip hole and use available brush if required.

Tassie Bushcraft

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Nice setup, I use a very similar load out, with the same bivvy. One addition I suggest is a groundsheet, to protect the bivvy and air mattress from sharp objects. I cut out a section just long and wide enough to sleep on from a larger heavy duty tarp from a hardware store, works a treat :)