BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This forum is currently closed to new user registrations. You are welcome to browse the forum as a guest and existing users may still login with their existing credential's to post on the forum.

• As of the 01/01/2023 the Bushcraft Oz Forum is now closed and has been placed in Archive mode. New Posts and Post Replies have been disabled but existing content can still be viewed. For more information please see the following post for more infomation. It is our goal to retain the wondeful contributions to the Bushcraft community over the years and a more appropriate way of displaying this is being considered for the future so the information is not lost. A perminent web archive of the forum state as of 30 Jan 2022 has been captured and can be viewed herea>.

Thank you all for a wonderful adventure and for your contributions over the years!

Bird Night owl

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Do you think it is nesting? We've got juvenile plovers running around down here - they've been out for over a month!

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Do you think it is nesting? We've got juvenile plovers running around down here - they've been out for over a month!
I honestly don't know. My owl knowledge comes from Morcomb's excellent iPhone app and Google! Certainly it has been around here for at least 5 years, but this is the first time it has posed!

Chigger

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Probably a Barn Owl or a Masked Owl, bit hard to tell the difference. Depends what sort of area it was seen in like open grasslands, dense timber to help with identification.

Looked up a couple of bird books.

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I honestly don't know. My owl knowledge comes from Morcomb's excellent iPhone app and Google! Certainly it has been around here for at least 5 years, but this is the first time it has posed!
I'm just surprised it was swooping you - I've never known this before.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
It's not like a magpie swoop, more a "tally-ho what's this for dinner, whoa that's not a mouse, pull up pull up" type affair...
Only one pass (that I detect)

Chigger

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
During the nesting season a number of different birds will become aggressive and swoop at what they think are intruders.

Yamaotoko

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Been swooped by this a couple of times now. Driving along farm track, slowed down and it just watched me as I slowly came alongside. Flash scared it off.View attachment 29335
It’s creepy getting swooped by owls because you can’t hear them coming! We’ve got a big white owl that’s checked me out a couple times, always sends me running!