BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Overnighter in the rain real fast set up

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys,I did this small video for my you tube channel the morning after overnight camp.I have to say I set out a bit late in the day and the rain was drizzling down on me all the way.I ended up with something like 40 minutes to set up my little camp and get a fire going before dark.I had a hammock to sleep in the poncho rig was just to eat and sit out of the rain..I was lucky to get the fire going as all the wood was really damp and wet.

[video=youtube;I7tTgjvaWoc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7tTgjvaWoc&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Hope you enjoyed my little video let me know what you think guys.I can't say how good that coffee in the morning was.

Last edited:

Ash

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Hi Ozhaggishead.
Cool vid. What did ya use to start ya fire in the drizzle. Thats nice lush vegitation you have there. Where I live in the blue mountians its a lot drier and sparce.

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
Not bad... I've seen worse... lol

When you have a choice, try to keep your shelter and fire parallel to the breeze, otherwise the smoke will roll and get sucked into your shelter, kind of like the wing on a plane...

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Again It was a real fast 60 second set up guys so don't be to hard on me.My main focus was on geting the up fire going in the rain.I wanted hot chill not cold from the can!!!When set up the shelter there was not much wind blowing,so when for the back to the sea rig.I used a firesteel and some cotton wool balls and dead bark to get the fire going.

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Gday haggis. Thanks for posting your video, out of interest what method did you use to get your fire going?

Last edited:

Big Bill

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Good job mate...... don't mind a bit of smoke keeps the bities away.......