Pack Selection

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
My MacPack Ascent has given me 14 years of excellent service, it is exceedingly comfortable, and capable of carrying enough for 5-7 day walks (with careful Packing)

I am considering a bigger pack... I was wondering what you guys use

I am looking for something around 85L, not to much extra bling and robust enough for regular pack swims and rough offtrack walking. The biggest issue I have with the Ascent is the height above the head which is a pain off track when ducking under branches. so low profile is preferred.

Thanks in advance!

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Ive just got a Karrimor Sabre 60-100 and im thrilled with the quality and build. It can easily go down from 100L to 60L and I have 2 12L PCLE pockets which I can add to take it up to 124L total. Plus a back yoke which i can detach the PCLE's from the main pack and attch to the yoke to make a daypack.

Very stong build and very very conformable and supportive. The adjustable back system it just fantastic allowing complete on the move adjustment you can shift the weight to any part of your back with great accuracy with the pull of a couple of straps. It may seem overkill for some at first but after a long day the body will be very happy.

This is it built up to 124L for a very big trip but it goes down to 60L very easily.

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Blake, that looks like a very interesting bag. Normally I am not a fan of lots of pockets as it makes total waterproofing (for river trips/swims) a little more difficult, However having said that the fact they are detachable is a definite plus. Where did you get it from? I wouldn't mind trying one on for size.

Cheers

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
i notmaly have the pockets off and folded up. To add if i need it ao normaly its much more slim.

Bought mine through a friend who got it online so im not sure of the site but ill find out.

Im not aware of any stockists in australia im affraid.

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
I'll second on the Karrimor 60-100, mine has been serving me well on my trips into Asia for a few years now.

I got mine from the UK wasn't cheap, after postage cost me close to a grand, but cant complain it's done some miles and is still in really good nick.

Blackhawk

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I have heard good things about the One Planet packs.Made in Australia,made out of canvas with not much fluff and bling.Available from most decent camping shops,they aren't cheap but One Planet pay a lot of attention to form and fit.

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
I like the look of the Sabre packs. Was going to buy one originally, but the postage from the UK was too insane.
I'm using a Summit Gear pack, made in Katoomba. I started with a 55L model but bought a 45L which is lighter and is a good size for up to 4 days.

EDIT: no longer recommend packs from this company.

Last edited:

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback fellas. My MacPac is made in NZ but now they haved moved offshore I would prefer to buy Australian if possible.

I bulk purchased a heap of commercial Wilderness Equipment bags recently, they were OK (excellent for the price really) too but I want something a bit better for myself.

What is the construction/materials/stitching like on the summit bags, I will duck in next time I am up at Katoomba and have a look, I like the idea of any Aussie made bag and the prices are definitely acceptable.

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
They're great, top quality. Not too many extraneous features.
I had them extend the side pockets on mine so I could fit in a 2.5L platypus on each side. Frees up so much room inside the bag.

EDIT: No longer recommend packs from this company

Last edited:

brad

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Osprey Argon 85l. Most comfortable pack I've ever worn. Had it sized up and molded at the shop and it feels amazing. The Karrimor packs do look amazing through.

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I like the look of the Sabre packs. Was going to buy one originally, but the postage from the UK was too insane.
I'm using a Summit Gear pack, made in Katoomba. I started with a 55L model but bought a 45L which is lighter and is a good size for up to 4 days.
Gday mate,

Not sure what you were quoted but just fyi I got my sabre 4 weeks ago and it was $160 pounds and $70 pounds for shipping but my mate bought one too so they split the shipping, I recon that's the way to go.

got ours from http://www.soldiersurplus.co.uk/

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
160 ponds & 70 for shipping!

I paid 300 for mine and almost the same for shipping from the UK 5 years ago...

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
From memory it was going to cost me well over $400Aus for the Sabre 45, nice bag, but wasn't quite willing to pay the price! If I saw one in Oz for decent money I'd pick it up though.

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
I have my old WE "Alpine Expedition" with multiple pockets for bushwalking and ski-touring and a discontinued model the WE "Tour-Jour" for my everyday carry but as this is a Bushcraft forum I would have thought most people would prefer something in canvas. Not for sentimental reasons but because it is a little more resistant to sparks from the open fire.

Being self reliant bush savvy people aren't we supposed to be able to get away with less?? so a smaller pack but more ironmongery ???

HitchHiking

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
dont forget oneplanet rucksacs. They are made in Melbourne with aussie canvas. I have been pumping my for near on 2 years now and its been great.