BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plant & Fungi Tinders for flint & steel fire lighting

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
that punk wood log is magnificent Kieth, the biggest piece I've ever seen.

I've watched these videos several times, and enjoy each time I go through and watch them.

Last edited:

Le Loup

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
that is punk wood log is magnificent Kieth, the biggest piece I've ever seen.

I've watched these videos several times, and enjoy each time I go through and watch them.
Thank you, much appreciated WM (y)
Regards, Keith.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
my observations,
punk wood, is about the best sustainable natural char material you can use. Can be a bit spotty in use, the best spongy, light punk wood once charred is second to none as far as char material goes. But you can get punk wood that is not so 'punky' and this is where it becomes spotty in use.

White punk tinder fungus, is excellent, again some of it will take a spark very easily, then other samples are frustratingly difficult to get to take a spark. Must be bone dry to work properly. Love the fact that you don't have to char it to use it.

cattail heads, my favourite natural tinder besides punk wood. Ember transfer to a cattail head and it will smoulder for a good long time, allows you to travel with an ember that doesn't need a lot of coaxing or maintenance to keep going as they just ember along by themselves.
Cattail fluff, pull the cattail head apart and nitrate the fluff using potassium nitrate and it will take a spark very easily (as easily as char cloth) from flint and steel and burn vigorously, very good prepared tinder. I would use nitrated cattail fluff as often as char cloth, it is so versatile and useful.