BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poncho Shelter

Ash

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Hi. Heres a poncho shelter I helped build with my 7 year old son. Actually he built about 90% of it. Sorry about the quality of the pics, they were taken with my phone

pic1.jpg

pic 2.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
That's pretty good mate, a nice winter shelter, and good to see you've got the young fella out there too...

Shane

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
You know I have been giving some thought to cutting back kit and saving weight and going back to a poncho for rain gear and a shelter was a thought - but I can't get past just how miserable a poncho is in wet weather compared to rain gear.

Ash

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Yeah I know what you mean Shane. I dont much like it as a rain coat either. But it doesnt take up too much space in my pack and its multi purpose

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Shane good point ash good point as well . Ash your kid done a brilliant job for himself there, you taught him well .
it all comes back to what others have said, peoples equipment are a personal choice to meet their needs or wants.
No-one is right or wrong.

I always like reading what people do themselves actual hands on things even if would not do myself or use that equipment myself. I like to see how others rate use this equipment and if at all curious i will try myself with open mind.

I think this is the reason i don't pay alot of attention to reviews or make many of my own. what one says is the best it may be the worst in another persons view.
trial and error can be expensive but at least you are happy from your findings and not dissappointed by others reviews.

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Shane I really think it depends on the poncho. my Swiss poncho is probably the very best garment have ever worn for those really miserable wet and soggy days you get up at the snow-line; even in a wind it is OK
While my Dutch poncho just lets the wind in and feels clammy.
The Swiss one is a dedicated rain garment tho and is totally single use while the Dutch unit can be used as a shelter; it is designed a half of a 2-man shelter like the Australian hootchie.
I just purchased a second Dutch poncho, I am going to cut a few feet off it and stitch the extra length to the other; to make a better one man shelter that can also provide rain shelter in an emergency, should only take a few minutes with the machine and some sealant

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I love my old 58' poncho done me well during the floods when we were evacing a family by heli in to town.

Big grin
IMG_0633.jpg