BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Potential solution to the problem of using a sleeping bag in a hammock...

chutes

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I have a bugger of a time getting into my hennesy hammock with a sleeping bag and 3/4 thermarest.

I was just put onto these:

adults_blue_b.jpg

They cost around $150, come in a variety of colours and lengths, but are only rated down to 7 degC (comfort) / -13 degC (extreme)

The one which would fit me weighs just under 2kg, so I'm seriously considering it.

Product page - http://www.snow-stuff.com.au/products/5-products/16-selk-bags

Manufacturer's page - http://www.selkbagworld.com/index.php?lang=ing&op=d1

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
That could be interesting... but if your zips get bound up at the hands it could make for some entertainment getting out of it.... lol
But a good idea none the less...

Kind of reminds me of Gumby... thats it I will now call it a Gumby suit! :_applauso:

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It's gumby! Looks like a great idea and would probably be very comfortable. I don't know if I could bring myself to use it though. Hehe

chutes

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
LOL it might be a gumby suit, but look, you can meditate while sitting in the snow on top of a mountain...

greenwomeng3.jpg

I'll pick one up and let you know what it's like.

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
I had something very close for working in the freezers and something similar was considered for the US Marines but they settled on the two=piece grey "Happy Suit" instead. I understand a lot of American hunters use tree stands and these suits are popular for spending a lot of time up a tree in; where you cannot move around to keep warm.
While i don't think I'll ever use one I too would be interested in the feed back.

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Yeah I'm also interested in ideas here.

Must admit the idea of people wandering around the scrub at night in these suits, trying to undo stuck zips, is very likely to give rise to a whole new bunch of 'yeti' sightings. Oh boy, are these things gonna have the newsreaders beside emselves or what? Love it.

Ok, getting serious here; I've just bought Vlad's Hennesey off him & obvioulsy need to sort out the best combination for using it.
So, I'm also looking for suggestions regarding the best way to set these up regarding insulation.
Has anyone used the thermal pads available from Hennesey? Are they any good?
Does anyone have alternative solutions?
I'm looking to try to keep it all reasonably portable (back-packable).

Bill A.

Walker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
It looks thermally inefficient to me - a rectangular shaped sleeping bag with two separate zips (one along the side and one at the foot-end) would be warmer and, importantly, easier to ventilate if it got too warm.

The 'Gumby Bag' has too many pressure points = heat loss. Plus, to keep hands and feet (extremities) warm, it's best to have one chamber like a traditional bag.

I hope the G-Bag has a flap at the back just in case! (It doesn't have a fly either!)

chutes

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
The gumby bag has several baffled and meshed zippered vents, and is easy to get in and out of - I like to get out of my sleeping bag before taking a dump.

As for the thermal inefficiency, I don't care - it's a crappily-rated bag anyway. A traditional sleeping bag has many points of contact in a hammock too ("pressure points = heat loss"). I'm looking at it specifically for use in a hammock in temperate climates because I find using a bag in a hammock is a pain in the arse and a single fleece blanket or a sheet just won't cut it down here in spring and autumn. In winter I use a traditional bag and a mat in the hammock regardless of the inconvenience.

If I find it is a piece of crap I'll be the first to say so. But in the meantime, unless you've used one...

Walker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
If I find it is a piece of crap I'll be the first to say so. But in the meantime, unless you've used one...

Obviously haven't used one, though will be interested to hear your review of this option - it certainly is a unique design alternative to a traditional bag.

I suppose one advantage to using it in a hammock is that you can adjust the mat, etc easily because of the separate arms (without getting uncovered like a trad bag)?

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Unique looking sleepingbag.
The easiest way to use a sleepingbag is to unzip it so that only the last 2 feet of it remains done up, hop in the hammock, stick your feet in the "foot pocket" and just lie the sleepingbag over the top of you as a blanket. You'll obviously need either a wide pad (wider than your shoulders) under you, or an underquilt onthe outside of the hammock. But that's fine. When lying in a sleepingbag the traditional way, the insulation underneath you is crushed anyway.

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Be a B_ _ _ _ _ d getting itchy in the middle of the night tho.
Makes scrathing one's 'whatsits' difficult ;-)

Bill A.

gelandangan

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
LOL.
Difficult to scratch an itch is also the first thing I thought of the suit.
After a few days without a shower int he trail, no matter how good a whore bath you have you'll still itch a bit.

Dutchy357

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Ha

I saw this idea over 30 years ago. :_lol::_lol:

When I was in the Army Reseve many years ago, a couple of my diggers who had been through Vietnam made their own out of a sleeping bag by splitting it part way up the middle and stitching it to make the legs and made holes at the shoulder to put their arms out. They did have zips at the feet and shoulders. Not as fancy as the Gumby Bag but very effective just the same.

They figured that rather than climb out of a nice warm sleeping bag in the middle of the night when it was their turn to go on picquet they just stuck their arms out, stuck their feet out the ends, put their boots on, put their webbing on and wandered off to the gun pit.

It made me smile the first time I saw sleeping bags in Patrol Order.

Dutchy

gelandangan

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Ha

I saw this idea over 30 years ago. :_lol::_lol:

When I was in the Army Reseve many years ago, a couple of my diggers who had been through Vietnam made their own out of a sleeping bag by splitting it part way up the middle and stitching it to make the legs and made holes at the shoulder to put their arms out. They did have zips at the feet and shoulders. Not as fancy as the Gumby Bag but very effective just the same.

They figured that rather than climb out of a nice warm sleeping bag in the middle of the night when it was their turn to go on picquet they just stuck their arms out, stuck their feet out the ends, put their boots on, put their webbing on and wandered off to the gun pit.

It made me smile the first time I saw sleeping bags in Patrol Order.

Dutchy

Dutchy,

Mate, you sure diggers uses SLEEPING BAGS in VIETNAM?
Or am I wrong in reading your post above?

I would guess the sleeping bags made a hell of a racket when used to do patrol..

Last edited:

Dutchy357

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Dutchy,

I would guess the sleeping bags made a hell of a racket when used to do patrol..

No NOT Nam!!

Back here in Aus.

Shit, they didn't know what a sleeping bag was back in the Army in that era. Just a couple of pissy little blankets and a nylon outer were all that the brains trust thought that a grunt needed for a good nights sleep.

No these were blokes who had seen plenty of service and had stayed on in the Reserve after. They just didn't like getting out of a warm fart sack to go on picquet in the gun pit in the middle of the night. So a bit of CDF and they came up with a Gumby Bag prototype. As you no doubt know, when you go on picquet you have to wear your basic webbing which is Patrol Order.

Dutchy

chutes

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Hahaha.

That's classic.

...and now you've got the cogs turning ;)

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
Dutchy,

Yes they did have sleeping bags in 'nam... believe it or not it does actually get cold here, especially if you get into the highlands... right now it's cold and flu season here and I even have a heavier coat to wear at night when out and about, the problem is once you get acustomed to the weather, even the slightest drop will leave you chilled considering the average temp here is 30-35C if it drops to 25C it feels like it's freezing cold.

When I was in East Timor, we also carried and used sleeping bags often, more so when moving into the higher elevations around Maliana, I can remember wearing thermals under my DPCU's at night there too...

Dutchy357

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Yes they did have sleeping bags in 'nam... believe it or not it does actually get cold here, especially if you get into the highlands... right now it's cold and flu season here and I even have a heavier coat to wear at night when out and about, the problem is once you get acustomed to the weather, even the slightest drop will leave you chilled considering the average temp here is 30-35C if it drops to 25C it feels like it's freezing cold.

When I was in East Timor, we also carried and used sleeping bags often, more so when moving into the higher elevations around Maliana, I can remember wearing thermals under my DPCU's at night there too...

The first sleeping bags I came across in the system were in the mid 70's. Lightweight Tropical. Next to useless.:non sono stato io: In a strong breeze you could feel it passing through the bag. I simply carried my feather down bag and used that. Only problem was that it was bright blue and couldn't be unrolled until after dark.:_lol:

By the time you got to Timor Leste they were a different class of sleeping bag altogether. Not a bad piece of kit. They actually did their job.

Dutchy

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
Yes... but we still bought our own... not the issued crap.. It wasn't Timor Leste when I was there, still just East Timor at that time, the name change didn't take place until 2002 when the nation was declared. Depending on who you were talking to the name was different, Dili (Tetun-Prasa)/Highland (Tetun-Terik) Timorese called it Timor Lorosa'e, Indoneasians called it TimTim (short form of Timor Timur).

A lot of Soldiers were issued the American tropical bag during the war when operating in the cooler months as supplimentery kit to the issued wool horse blanket, others obtained the rip-stop Nylon poncho liners from the yank PX's too (my father still has his today)

Most of us had Snugpack Softie 3's or the cheaper Roman brand ones...

Last edited: