Quick Review: Trangia vs eBay 'cheapie' stove comparison

mingle

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Just picked up a cheap ($15 shipped) alcohol stove from eBay, so I thought I’d post a few pics and a quick comparison with the Trangia stove.

When I spotted this one a few weeks ago, I thought it looked pretty much identical to the Trangia and, for the price, it was definitely worth picking up.

Comes packed in a very well-made and nice-looking box, with some amusing Chinglish blurbs.

1.jpg

The box contains the anodised alloy pot-stand/stove-holder, the stove, stove cap and simmer-ring/cap.

2.jpg

The stove was pretty loose when placed inside the holder, so I had to bend the four tabs on the inside of the
stand to make it a secure. Once that was done, it fitted together nicely.

3.jpg

One nifty little design-advantage over the Trangia is that the simmer ring has a folding ‘handle’ which makes it
very easy to pop it over the stove to snuff it out, rather than the Trangia ‘drop it from a great height’ method!

4.jpg

When compared to the Trangia stove, the dimensions are pretty much identical. The clone stove is ever so
slightly deeper and has alternating big-small-big holes on the burner, but apart from that, there’s not much in it.
The Trangia seems to be made from a different grade/type of brass, compared to the bright and shiny clone.

5.jpg

The screw-on caps are interchangeable and fit on each stove perfectly. The cap o-rings also look the same.
The simmer cap on the clone has very slightly larger diameter than the Trangia, so it wont fit snugly for storage,
but the simmer rings of both stoves are also interchangeable when in use.

6.jpg

Both stoves light easily and take pretty much the same time to ‘jet’.
Interestingly the clone stove has 26 burner holes (13 big & 13 small), whereas the Trangia
has 24 holes – whether this makes any difference in performance, I couldn’t tell.

7.jpg

After a minute or so (I didn’t do any stopwatch timing) both stoves had a nice flame going.

8.jpg

The simmer caps worked the same on both stoves, reducing the flame to a low level.
As I mentioned before, the small folding handle on the clones’ simmer-cap was a great little innovation:

9.jpg

The next step was to do the traditional boil-test. I assembled the stove,
filled my kettle and set it to boil. It took the usual 5-6 minutes.

10.jpg

In summary, I think it was $15 well-spent and I’m looking forward to giving it a
test in a proper outdoors environment. :)

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks very much mingle! Great review. Very interested to see how this goes long term mate. In the meantime I think it looks like you got yourself a top bargain there. I would be very happy with that.

Joe

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
i use a similar knockoff trangia that i picked up from a Macpac outlet. It was about $20 and has done everything that my friends trangias do. They are such simple pieces of equiptment that there just isnt much to go wrong with them. The one difference is the wind protection which i solved with some Aluminium flashing similar to how the MSR wind shields work.

AussiePreppers

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Let us know how the seams / pressing go after 10-20 burns... if they hold up after 20 I think you've got yourself a great deal that should last.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
That looks like a great deal, but some "clones" don't stand up to repeated wear too well.

It will be interesting to see how it goes long term.

GTVi

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I have the same Chinese unit...so far so good.

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice review mate at that price you can't go wrong. Thanks for the detailed pictures!

gelandangan

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Nice review mate. Thanks!

Are the clone feel as heavy as the trangia?

gelandangan

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
so they are made of a piece of brass?
I thought they are welded tin..
thanks!

TasMonk

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I too have one of the knock-off stoves. For cooking, it's a treat. It serves me well enough, but has proven to have a small leak so it's not suitable to store metho in it. Easily enough overcome, I guess, but it is a small frustration.

plague69

Russell Coight
Reaction score
When I went to China and did some camping, I bought myself a Alcos cooking kit with that same burner, mine came with a pot, frying pan, handle, lid and carry bag. Preformed well, but took ages to get breakfast going...

Edit, i always kept my fuel in a fuel bottle, so not sure if it leaks

Alcos is one of the best brands for campers and bushcrafter's in China. Just be careful if you want to go cheaper, there are some pretty poor products out there. Stick to the big name brands if buying cheaper, and always read reviews :)

thejungleisneutral

Walkabout
Reaction score
Great review.

I own and use a Trangia Mini which is what the burner and stand of the Alcos unit is based on. I bent the tabs out a little on my Trangia stand too since it gives the brass burner a more secure fit and minimises rattles when it's all packed up with its pot, lid and spondonicles.

One interesting feature of these stands is that you can add a little metho to the stand to preheat and ignite the burner. If it usually takes 90 seconds or so for the burner to start "jetting" (depending on ambient temps), you can cut that down to around 30, which means your cuppa is ready a minute or so earlier.

I've been experimenting with fuel bottles and so far have been using an aluminium red bull bottle, a $5 600ml flat Sigg style bottle off ebay and a $3 300ml aluminium spray bottle off ebay with spray lid replaced with a garden-variety soft drink bottle lid.

I'm thinking about picking up an Alcos unit since they can be had for around $13 shipped. Just need to ask myself "do I need another stove?" Probably not.

trailrider74

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
I also have a Trangia mini, but I've swapped out the Trangia burner for a soda can stove I made as I don't really use the Trangia burner to store fuel. Works well with the pot stand.