BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Re candling the flame?

Jeepcreep

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Probably one of the greatest attributes of a homesteader is the ability to reuse / remake / redo/ and repurpose anything on the homestead.My wife is a candle burner,she loves the glow of them,and has her favorites in the scented ones.We Acually save money by burning candles,first from the light in rooms that we don't need brighter light.Secondly,by keeping the house smelling that wonderful pumpkin spice,and Carmel buttercream.
At the end of the candles life,she pours the melted wax into a plastic bowl,when it is full,she pops out the 1lb bowl shaped multi colored chunk of wax.I put them in a box in my building,when the time comes,I re- melt the 10- 30 lbs of used wax,and pour into candle molds,fire starters,and cooking candles.By doing this we have an endless supply of candles that I only bought once,but may use several times before the wax is used up.
We often find her scented candles on sale,after holidays are great times to purchase assortments of candles at rediculously reduced prices,homesteading at its best !

pap11y

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Great idea.. I really like candlelight... I also use candle wax to lubricate wooden drawers that are starting to stick..

I am sure there are many more uses for wax....

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Great idea.. I really like candlelight... I also use candle wax to lubricate wooden drawers that are starting to stick..

I am sure there are many more uses for wax....

Water proofing, especially seams !

I keep the old tails of candles too, and re-melt them mostly for fire starters; but I have seen them on sale too and have bought them very cheap.