BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Re usable natural fire lighter

Chigger

Ray Mears
Reaction score
As an addition to my last firelighting threads stumbled upon a re usable firelighter which may be handy. For circumstances where campfires have to be relit day after day.

Used a red stringybark spill into which I had sprinkled charred sawdust and bracket fungus. Ignited with flint and steel and lit the fire.

DSC00222.JPG

After lighting the fire and making sure it was burning well snuffed the spill between two slabs of timber. Or could put into some sort of airtight metal container.

DSC00224.JPG

After leaving for an hour or so the spill is extinguished and ready to be reused for another firelight. Just recharge with your favourite tinder, apply sparks from whatever igniter you wish. Will quickly relight.

Daresay this is what was done in the days before matches etc and would save a lot of time and effort.

The spill ready for relighting , so far has lit two fires and reckon it is good enough to light another two before being totally burnt away.

DSC00227.JPG

Red stringybark works well for this.

Last edited:

OutdoorAcademy

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Nice. I have lots of stringy bark in my area and is my go to tinder. Even primitive man knew the importance of a "next fire" mentality. Having a pre charred material is a definite advantage. Try twisting into a loose chordage and dipping in tallow to make a waxed tinder rope.