BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bird Red-tailed Black Cockatoo (Calyptorhynchus banksii)

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Scientific Name: Calyptorhynchus banksii

Common Name: Red-tailed Black Cockatoo

Order: Psittaciformes

Family: Cacatuidae

Subspecies: C. b. banksii- Northern and eastern Queensland.

Other Names: NA

Distribution: Australia

Habitat: Different habitats are used for feeding, nesting and roosting; feeding areas of Heathy Woodland EVC are mostly within state forests and parks reserves whilst Buloke feeding areas and nesting habitat with Red Gum associated EVCs are predominantly on private land (Joseph 1991, Venn 1993, RFA 2000, Maron 2005).

Field Notes: a large dark grey-black cockatoo up to 63cm in length. It has a rounded crest and a large bill; males have a dark bill and an obvious red tail band whilst females have fine yellow spots on the head and wings with yellow barring across the breast. Females also have a more yellow-orange-red barred tail band and a creamy coloured bill. Juveniles have similar markings to females and a duskier coloured bill.

There are five distinct subspecies are recognised in Australia, with considerable variations in overall size, bill shape, bill size and colour between each of the races.

Calyptorhynchus banksii subspecies

C. b. graptogyne- South-west Victoria and south-east of South Australia.

C. b. banksii- Northern and eastern Queensland.

C. b. macrorhynchus- Northern Western Australia, Northern Territory and Gulf of Carpentaria.

C. b. samueli- Inland Australia from western side of Western Australia, Central Australia and patchy through the Murray-Darling area in western New South Wales.

C. b. naso- South-west corner of Western Australia.

Photo by Auscraft 2011
View attachment 2341View attachment 2342

Greatbloke

Jack Abasalom
Reaction score
I saw this one eating gum nuts at Galvan's gorge in Northern Western Australia.

1p1040105.jpg

1p1040119001.jpg

Mickldo

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I have a large flock of these that frequent my 3acres. They feed in the Eucalypts out the front and then fly over the house of an evening to get a drink at the dam down the back. Magnificent birds. Noisy but magnificent. This afternoon when I came home down my driveway it was like it was raining gum tree branches. They were feeding in the gums and dropping the branches on the ground. The branches were just the last 6" of new growth. I can't see any gum nuts. It looks like they are chewing on the new growth or maybe pruning to encourage more new growth? I have just spent the past half hour sitting on my front verandah with my binoculars watching this flock. It is a bit hard to count them but I reckon there has to be at least 20 birds. Once the birds go I will try and make a better ID of the gum trees they were feeding on. There are a couple of different species they were feeding on.