BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redback everest boots

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I bought these from an ebay store for $138.55; that's with a 10% discount using the code POPPER10. I've seen them other places online for $140 to over $200. I believe they compare easily to other walking boots of $200. These are great boots. All leather upper with gusseted tongues. Even the ankle collar is leather. The leather feels good. I like them a lot. The soles are very grippy - I've a pair of redbacks that are over 10 years old, and just got them re soled. I used those redbacks on an extended walk in the south west of Tassie and was the only one without foot problems. I'll use these as dress boots. I tend to wear clothes smart casual, but I can go on an unplanned bush walk easily, which happens a fair bit. They are lined with this stuff called cambrelle, which is supposed to help breathing. On my old boots the lining is still good. They come in half sizes. Note the half sizes aren't longer, but 4mm wider. One of my feet is permanently swollen due to injury; the half size fits well but I still had to take out the left inner sole as I have with with all my boots. Very good value. Also notice no stitching low down on the sides - this is where other boots not purpose made for bush walking fall apart when they are constantly scuffed climbing rock etc. A very easy recommendation.

From the redback site

Last edited:

Peter123

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Red backs are great boots. The sole gives heaps of grip when things get hairy

silver_capsicum

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
I bought these from an ebay store for $138.55; that's with a 10% discount using the code POPPER10. I've seen them other places online for $140 to over $200. I believe they compare easily to other walking boots of $200. These are great boots. All leather upper with gusseted tongues. Even the ankle collar is leather. The leather feels good. I like them a lot. The soles are very grippy - I've a pair of redbacks that are over 10 years old, and just got them re soled. I used those redbacks on an extended walk in the south west of Tassie and was the only one without foot problems. I'll use these as dress boots. I tend to wear clothes smart casual, but I can go on an unplanned bush walk easily, which happens a fair bit. They are lined with this stuff called cambrelle, which is supposed to help breathing. On my old boots the lining is still good. They come in half sizes. Note the half sizes aren't longer, but 4mm wider. One of my feet is permanently swollen due to injury; the half size fits well but I still had to take out the left inner sole as I have with with all my boots. Very good value. Also notice no stA very easy recommendation.

I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on these after my old Mammuts fell apart recently, look very durable and good value. Would you mind giving an update on how yours fared over the year? I guess I'm just a little hesitant going with a non mainstream "hiking boot" brand.

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on these after my old Mammuts fell apart recently, look very durable and good value. Would you mind giving an update on how yours fared over the year? I guess I'm just a little hesitant going with a non mainstream "hiking boot" brand.
They are a more flexible boot than I'm guessing your mammut boots are. I would call them day walk boots because you're only carrying a day pack. Your current boots, and others like them, really come into their own when you have a big load on your back, 20 - 30kg. You need a hard sole for that sort of weight when you're walking on pointy rock or trying to climb a partial ledge etc. The other difference is that the redbacks would be a much better warm weather boot - I'm also guessing your mammuts are lined with goretex, which is hot. So, an awesome day walking boot in warmer climes, with awesome grip. The leather on these is really well oiled and doesn't tend to dry out and get hard. I give them a light coat of olive oil 2 or 3 times a year. The rest of the time I just brush them fairly regularly.

silver_capsicum

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
They are a more flexible boot than I'm guessing your mammut boots are. I would call them day walk boots because you're only carrying a day pack. Your current boots, and others like them, really come into their own when you have a big load on your back, 20 - 30kg. You need a hard sole for that sort of weight when you're walking on pointy rock or trying to climb a partial ledge etc. The other difference is that the redbacks would be a much better warm weather boot - I'm also guessing your mammuts are lined with goretex, which is hot. So, an awesome day walking boot in warmer climes, with awesome grip. The leather on these is really well oiled and doesn't tend to dry out and get hard. I give them a light coat of olive oil 2 or 3 times a year. The rest of the time I just brush them fairly regularly.

Thanks for the detailed response.

Hell yeah the Mammuts were hot a lot of the time, more often than the goretex saved me from wet feet anyway.

It actually sounds like these could be what I'm after, with the little kids I'm lucky to get out for an overnighter, let alone multi day hikes with my big pack, and my old boots were a bit of overkill. Plus less spare money now so yeah value is good.

Now I just need to find somewhere with my size, looks like a lot of places have been pillaged lately. If I end up getting some I'll let you know what I think.

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed response.

Hell yeah the Mammuts were hot a lot of the time, more often than the goretex saved me from wet feet anyway.

It actually sounds like these could be what I'm after, with the little kids I'm lucky to get out for an overnighter, let alone multi day hikes with my big pack, and my old boots were a bit of overkill. Plus less spare money now so yeah value is good.

Now I just need to find somewhere with my size, looks like a lot of places have been pillaged lately. If I end up getting some I'll let you know what I think.
Remember, if you have wide feet the half sizes are wider, not longer. So 10 1/2 is the same length as 10, just a bit wider.

silver_capsicum

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Checking back in - got the boots after a little stuff up where the shop sent some elastic sided Redbacks instead.

The Everests are great. I second everything Randall said - grippy soles, flexible tough leather and design seems very robust and keeps the sand out well with the tongue joined to the sides all the way up. They kind of fold inwards when you do the laces up. As exected they're a lot cooler on my feet than my old Mammuts. Haven't worn them in the wet yet though. I've also worn them as casual boots with jeans, at least until they get all scuffed up anyway. For the price I think these are excellent, and Australian made too.

I got them from Melbourne Farm Supplies who were very apologetic and helpful in dealing with the shipping error.

I couldn't help myself and tried on the elastic sided boots they accidentally sent first and they were also very comfy - might look at those when/if my blundstones ever wear out.

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
If I'm doing anything in the bush or on the block, I usually wear ankle gaiters. I only wear these to keep stuff out of my boots. A lot of bushwalkers use them too. Mine are just cotton, and quite cool. I bought them at coles or woolworths; less than $3.00. Here's a picture similar to what I have - everywhere else seems to want $12.00 for them!

gaiters.png

silver_capsicum

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
If I'm doing anything in the bush or on the block, I usually wear ankle gaiters. I only wear these to keep stuff out of my boots. A lot of bushwalkers use them too. Mine are just cotton, and quite cool. I bought them at coles or woolworths; less than $3.00. Here's a picture similar to what I have - everywhere else seems to want $12.00 for them!

That's gold! I have some pretty over-engineered gaiters good for particularly wet situations but definitely don't get brought out very often. I'll keep an eye out at the supermarket, thanks for the tip.

Boot wearer

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Don’t do it.
For those looking to buy work boots or hiking boots please take my advice and avoid buying Redback boots in particular the Redback Everest. The Everest is supposedly a hiking boot but if you value your feet I suggest staying well away from them. They don’t even make a good work boot. They fall well short in their design and the materials used to construct them. My advice is to buy a hiking boot made by an actual hiking boot manufacturer. If you’re after lace up work boots then these are not what you want to buy.
Also If you have an issue with a Redback product and you want to bring it to the attention of the manufacturer then don’t even waste your time as they simply ignore you, don’t expect the issue to be resolved as you won’t even get a response from them. I’m regretting wasting my hard earned money trying to buy Australian made. I won’t make the same mistake twice and I hope this review helps you to avoid the disappointment and frustration I endured.
Redback Everest = waste of money.

Boot wearer

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I bought these from an ebay store for $138.55; that's with a 10% discount using the code POPPER10. I've seen them other places online for $140 to over $200. I believe they compare easily to other walking boots of $200. These are great boots. All leather upper with gusseted tongues. Even the ankle collar is leather. The leather feels good. I like them a lot. The soles are very grippy - I've a pair of redbacks that are over 10 years old, and just got them re soled. I used those redbacks on an extended walk in the south west of Tassie and was the only one without foot problems. I'll use these as dress boots. I tend to wear clothes smart casual, but I can go on an unplanned bush walk easily, which happens a fair bit. They are lined with this stuff called cambrelle, which is supposed to help breathing. On my old boots the lining is still good. They come in half sizes. Note the half sizes aren't longer, but 4mm wider. One of my feet is permanently swollen due to injury; the half size fits well but I still had to take out the left inner sole as I have with with all my boots. Very good value. Also notice no stitching low down on the sides - this is where other boots not purpose made for bush walking fall apart when they are constantly scuffed climbing rock etc. A very easy recommendation.

From the redback site
For those looking to buy work boots or hiking boots please take my advice and avoid buying Redback boots in particular the Redback Everest. The Everest is supposedly a hiking boot but if you value your feet I suggest staying well away from them. They don’t even make a good work boot. They fall well short in their design and the materials used to construct them. My advice is to buy a hiking boot made by an actual hiking boot manufacturer. If you’re after lace up work boots then these are not what you want to buy.
Also If you have an issue with a Redback product and you want to bring it to the attention of the manufacturer then don’t even waste your time as they simply ignore you, don’t expect the issue to be resolved as you won’t even get a response from them. I’m regretting wasting my hard earned money trying to buy Australian made. I won’t make the same mistake twice and I hope this review helps you to avoid the disappointment and frustration I endured.

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I don't deny your experience at all. I really hate keen boots for their incredibly poor quality - the two pairs I had fell apart very quickly, so I can understand where you're coming from.

I see you're a new member and this is your first and only post. Perhaps you can give some more information on how your boots failed you? It might help someone?

I've already described my experience with everest boots, which is all I can talk about. I also have a pair of black outbacks that I wear socially, and outback workboots; so three pairs all up (outback, outback safety boot, everest boots).

I've had the workboots for 15years and still use them, although only when I know it's going to be dry; they leak like crazy through the worn out soles. The uppers are still in great condition, although holes are worn through the leather over the steel caps courtesy of cornering on motorcycles - I can't hold that against them.

I would have bought a new pair of the redback workboots, but can't try them on anywhere here, just order online. I've had quite a bit of trouble lately with sizes of bicycle shoes and didn't want to take the chance on the sizing of the redback workboots - have they changed in 15 years? The boots I have found cost a fair bit more than the equivalent redbacks; maybe redbacks are great value here in Aus where they're made?

There are a lot of reviews on youtube etc, I think it's because redbacks are now sold internationally. I like the guy in the links below - he is a bootmaker himself. In his reviews he also cuts boots in half to discuss materials used and quality of manufacture in general.

Detailed review of redback workboots

Best boots of 2021

Last edited:

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
That's gold! I have some pretty over-engineered gaiters good for particularly wet situations but definitely don't get brought out very often. I'll keep an eye out at the supermarket, thanks for the tip.
actually I've been seeing those ankle gaitors at work wear shops. I think I also saw them at BigW or Kmart.

Kindlling

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Hey Randall is’nt blundstones a Tasmanian boot ?

I don’t really know anything about proper hiking boots, I have currently had a couple pair of blundstones , zip side lace ups , and elastic sided .

They have always been pretty comfy and don’t really need much if any wearing in to begjn .
Soles wore out before the boots did , even then they keep going ,can’t complain I am hard on my boots .
Water , bush , mud , and miles etc.

I also like the army boots “terra” impressive grip on rocks and mud and slopes .

Not great quality soles material , can wear out quickly , not good for hard surfaces .

Of the 2 I would go with blundstones zip side lace ups most times . Also Especially for the ease of getting on and off .
However heavy .

If I was going somewhere rugged , I’d pick the terra boots . Mondo point sizing , mine are about Edit : ( 25 longer than the foot) i think from memory for the listed lemgth size.room to
Move works for me .

Reason also is ankle support , awesome high ankle support arches up behind the ankle .
Lighter than the blundstones.

Don’t expect too much from the soles though for lasting , bonus is you can sometimes find them cheap on eby. To compensate .

Oh yeah wear thick socks and need a lot of breaking in, not particularly comfy , more for the function . Grip and support in the real world , dry out quick in the tropics .

Bought a few pairs of out of date boots for cheap , one was oliver zip side lace ups .

They were not good out of date , the rubber fell off the toe first day around the house .

The blundstones were fine.

In my opinion boots come and go , they are replenishable .

Last edited:

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Hey Randall is’nt blundstones a Tasmanian boot ?
They were. They made them originally right in hobart - the building is still there. I think they initially used convict labour. I had a friend who worked for blundstone for decades till they closed up here; he started at the original factory. He said they only make the gumboots here now :(

I saw lots of zip and lace boots when I was looking for work boots - I can imagine they'd be great for tradies who have to take their boots off when going inside someone's house. Most of everything I do is on an steep incline / decline (mtb, bushwalking, working) so I go for good fitting lace up all the time; I need the support.

blundstone factory.jpg

Last edited:

Kindlling

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I don't deny your experience at all. I really hate keen boots for their incredibly poor quality - the two pairs I had fell apart very quickly, so I can understand where you're coming from.

I see you're a new member and this is your first and only post. Perhaps you can give some more information on how your boots failed you? It might help someone?

I've already described my experience with everest boots, which is all I can talk about. I also have a pair of black outbacks that I wear socially, and outback workboots; so three pairs all up (outback, outback safety boot, everest boots).

I've had the workboots for 15years and still use them, although only when I know it's going to be dry; they leak like crazy through the worn out soles. The uppers are still in great condition, although holes are worn through the leather over the steel caps courtesy of cornering on motorcycles - I can't hold that against them.

I would have bought a new pair of the redback workboots, but can't try them on anywhere here, just order online. I've had quite a bit of trouble lately with sizes of bicycle shoes and didn't want to take the chance on the sizing of the redback workboots - have they changed in 15 years? The boots I have found cost a fair bit more than the equivalent redbacks; maybe redbacks are great value here in Aus where they're made?

There are a lot of reviews on youtube etc, I think it's because redbacks are now sold internationally. I like the guy in the links below - he is a bootmaker himself. In his reviews he also cuts boots in half to discuss materials used and quality of manufacture in general.

Detailed review of redback workboots

Best boots of 2021
👍 had no idea there was folks out there cutting up shoes to see how they kick.

Like he said they were softer soles , but thicker and comfortable, without a shank.

Would be interesting to see how well they last due to that , and compared to blundstones. As he was holding them up against .

I remember having some redbacks at some stage .
Though being shoes i probably just thought they were shoes .This guy said his were the comfiest boots he could imagine and he obviously loves shoes .

Most elastic sided boots are preferable for throwing on to go do stuff around the place where its flat and not much chance of sprained ankles .

Not at all site compliant at a lot of work places .

Most are a delight to wear and comfy , though not all like some of the cheapies you see these days.

The blundstone elastic sided boots come in a couple different types . The brown ones look a bit softer and flatter or droopier more malleable .

The black safety toe ones with the textured leather seem stiffer , they have the blue on the loops you use to pull them on .

The soles on them seem/ look exactly the same as the lace up blundstone boots as the black elastic sided blundstones .

Would be interesting to see those compared to the redbacks .

Last edited:

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
The black safety toe ones with the textured leather seem stiffer
Same with the redbacks - the safety boots, although supposedly the same model (outback) has much thicker leather than the non safety boot. And then the Outback non safety has thinner leather (and different) to the everest. So, in levels of thickness: outback safety, everest, outback.

Blundstone are probably as good or better or worse - I simply don't know. I had trouble wearing them decades ago and have never gone back to try them again. Ever since the zip/lace combo has been around elastic sided boots seem to have nearly disappeared. You know I think the US military came up with that idea first! Well not the military, but third party sellers to military personnel. All those lace holes in army boots - dudes started buying their own look alike boots with the zip. I first saw them in the RAAF in the late 80's.

Kindlling

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Actually I only remembered later that the terra combat boots I mentioned were also made by redback . its not a conspicuous fact on the boots .

I wondered if the soles went through different phases , trial and error in the time being made , as I have noticed slight hardness differences in a couple pairs .

There is at least a couple different tread patterns .
The boot leather consists of kangaroo hide snd buffalo which I do like the leather, and the seatbelt looking strap sewed to the sides . The first time you realize they make no attempt to stop water coming in is also pretty wild , it just gets out quick too, theres little drain holes with mesh on them looks like they can be plugged?
On a hot north queensland day the outside leather can change back to being completely dry walking through grasses in around a half hour sometimes.

There would be more expensive better lasting boots out there for sure . They did not seem to get it spot on , and I don’t think anyone would write home to say how great they are .
They do grip and they do support .

About those zips , never had trouble with one ,knock on wood . Whatever the great big zips they are using are , they should go ahead and use them on a lot of other items out there .

Last edited: