BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remington 1306 OFF the wet stone grinder !

old4570

Ray Mears
Reaction score

Aaaaaaaargh ! These are more collector knives now than user knives ..
So putting the 1306 on the wet stone grinder was not an easy decision .
I did previously test this knife .. 150 slice soft fail .
That edge was a very carefully massaged factory bevel to minimize material loss .

Butt , and it's a huge butt ! To leave it there ...................

So I had to do it , I had to regrind the edge !
And yes , the factory edge was FUBAR ... On one side a little over 30% of the blade toward the handle is just a rubbish grind .
I would say some one lingered on the belt to long in that one spot , Cos there is a rather substantial DIP in the grind .
Regrinding , shows up things like this .. And once done ( regrind ) , can't be un done . So the FUBAR is there for the world to see ( ME ) .

The result of regrinding was a 300 slice fail , this is up from the previous 150 slice result .
That's only a 150 slice increase , or 200% compared to the previous test .
I am on the hunt now for a decent wet stone ..
I am thinking that the wet stone grinder is a lot like a decent sized wet stone ..
And a skilled wet stone sharpener should be able to do what the grinder does . ( Should / could / would ? ) And that is correct a poorly ground / formed knife edge .
Anyways .. So with a decent / straight / correctly made edge , the 1306 is capable of good edge holding .
So my 1306 off the grinder is a 300 knife . ( Wet Stone Grinder )