BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Review - Quenda 180 top quilt (Tier Gear)

pap11y

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Specs and materials

Argon 90 woodland camo outer, Argon 67 titanium grey inner, zippered footbox, no taper, full width of fabric roll, temp rating -1 degC, weight 592 grams in the stuff sack

Fill - 800fp HyperDry hydrophobic duck down

First impressions

"There's no way this thing will keep me warm at -1... lol" I have to admit it this was my first thought.

I moved on from this to OMG the feel of the argon fabrics that I chose is beautiful. Very soft and feels great against the skin..

First test

Well this was unscientific (and inside) but I gave it to my sister who is always cold.. I asked her to confirm if she thinks its warm.. Well she wrapped herself up in it and kept it on her until she left. She had also rolled it down from covering her shoulders to just covering her legs...

I finally got it back and did a test with it wrapped close around me. It didn't take long to feel the heat start to build up which was very comforting. There was no way I could have kept the bag around me it was way too warm..

I have used it twice as my only blanket (opened out like a doona) and its excellent. Easy to change how much my body is covered to manage warmth..

It is very slippery though so you can see why the shoe box is of benefit.. With it the bag would be held in place much easier..

I've yet to test it outside in my tent but have no doubt it will kick butt..

Why I wanted this design

The important things for me were, weight of the final product and comfort at prescribed temp..

I think this works for me as I am a tosser (for want of a better description) and I find I get locked up in sleeping bags searching for the zipper by morning. If it isn't too cold I can just use it like a doona..

There's also no hood (I don't like em...).

Final thoughts

The specs on this bag are better than the production bags out there while being cheaper. I won't ever buy another production bag. I'm very happy with this product and Simon was great to deal with..

The product amazes me truly to be so light and comfortable but so effective.. Its also really cool that I was able to choose from colours and materials that I liked..

Some people may not like the fact there is no zipper but I actually like it as I don't feel constrained (I am pretty big and most bags feel very snug on me to the point of being restrictive..)

d7jiP4.jpg

l1T7Is.jpg

SbZTeE.jpg

4CGC6e.jpg

5s8jU5.jpg

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
great write up Pierre, Simon makes some nice gear. Isn't it nice not to have zippers,
as good as some manufacturers say "no snag" etc etc, ive never found one that didnt at some time get caught up.

Mozz

pap11y

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
great write up Pierre, Simon makes some nice gear. Isn't it nice not to have zippers,
as good as some manufacturers say "no snag" etc etc, ive never found one that didnt at some time get caught up.

Mozz

Yeah I agree.

I'll have to save up for one. Looks fantastic.

Yeah I do have good taste in colours don't I :p I'm very pleased..

P.S. thanks everyone who chimed in to my ultralight sleeping bag thread. It really helped..